RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this problem with their SVR seats? The white colored piping has faded rather badly even though the rest of the seat is in great shape. I wonder if I can get JLR to cover this under warranty. I know it's wear and tear but there has to be a limit right? If the piping faded after a week say they'd have to replace it. So what's reasonable?

The other issues is one piece of the SVR fender trim has started to separate from the body. It's just adhesive and I'm sure dealer will take care of it. Just wonder if anyone else has had this issue.

·
Administrator
27,798 Posts
Faded evenly or mostly on the the drivers seat cushion? Is it actual fade or is it dye from jeans? Even fading would be a stretch to get new seat covers. Colour change from dyes wont get you anywhere with the dealer. I know a couple folks with white piping that were told it is lack of maintenance and cleaning.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's 100% fading. There is actually zero denim staining on the seat. The leather is in exceptional shape. Other seats are fine but they were relatively unused. The piping is a very unusual material. I'm used to it being almost leather/vinyl like but this is more like nylon with a white coating. The white coating is worn off the bottom part and it's basically the grey color. I'll post some pics later tonight.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So what's reasonable?
In my experience, usually <12months is the norm for premature failure of components subject to normal wear/tear. Sometimes this is an official policy within the warranty, sometimes it's dealer discretion, sometimes it falls under "good will". I don't know if JRL has a policy on this or not. Just my two cents..

·
Registered
23 Posts
FWIW, most of the vehicles I looked at during my search had some sort of wear on the white seats. I ended up with a 2016 ATB that had white seats but the previous owner had put some sort of coating (Teflon I think) on the interior which really helped it retain its luster. When I bought it though the finance department tried to sell me an additional warranty for the interior. Not 100% sure because I didn’t consider it and knew I was also going to coat it but I do remember her saying that it’s near impossible to get wear in the leather covered and that’s why they offer the additional warranty.

After my detailer reconditioned the leather there was still a very noticable difference from before to after the cleaning. The coating helped a lot but leather on the dash in the sun fades differently than on the front seats which is different from the back seats. I honestly think replacing only one part of the interior now would make it stand out tremendously because just being a couple years old means it fades. Maybe something to consider is just a good shampoo/reconditioning...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, the leather itself is actually immaculate. The previous owner had the front windshield heavily tinted so the sun has been very kind on this car. Obviously I had to rip that out in CA. The only issues, which I'll get over, is the piping which seems it has worn very disproportionately to the leather. It's always tricky when manufacturers choose a new material for interiors cause it doesn't have the track record for lasting just yet.
I was talking to my service advisor this morning about the O2 sensors on the SVR and how many people have had to get them replaced multiple times. He used to be a tech and explained to me that on morning starts, if there is condensation built up on the sensors, since they're located right next to the exhaust, it was causing the sensors to malfunction with the temp/water combo. That's a very tough thing for the manufacturer to have predicted when designing the car I would think. I won't have the car for a few more days it looks like cause there are a few faults they need to clear out and then put some miles on to get it smog checked in CA. Already missing driving it.

·
Banned
305 Posts
post pics. the piping is white. how does white fade? or is it that maybe the previous owner tried cleaning it and it lost luster because it is painted nylon that wore off???

·
Administrator
27,798 Posts
White will turn yellow with age. Just look at any convertible with a white leather interior, it doesn't hold up well. I am just rather surprised they went to a nylon wrapped piping. That is a tid bit I don;t think has been mentioned before. Cushion, piping and trims on the outside edge of the driver's seat always take a beating... but nylon? Now Kevlar piping would add a nice difference and certainly take the wear worry out of it! :-?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
post pics. the piping is white. how does white fade? or is it that maybe the previous owner tried cleaning it and it lost luster because it is painted nylon that wore off???
It's at the dealer for a few days getting some much needed love but I'll post soon. The nylon has a color (white) coating and over time with abrasion it basically scrapes off and wears.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
White will turn yellow with age. Just look at any convertible with a white leather interior, it doesn't hold up well. I am just rather surprised they went to a nylon wrapped piping. That is a tid bit I don;t think has been mentioned before. Cushion, piping and trims on the outside edge of the driver's seat always take a beating... but nylon? Now Kevlar piping would add a nice difference and certainly take the wear worry out of it! :-?
I agree with you. Kevlar would have been a lot more durable, but I think the color coating would have come off of that too unless it was done differently. I think they were going for a highly reflective, shiny look which I do like but that obviously can't hold up as well.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to be back. It's like I never left ;)
I picked it up last weekend. It has a few little things the dealer is going to cover under the 100k CPO warranty which I'm very thankful for. I can't wait to get it back though. I gotta say still have a little fomo from cancelling my MY18 SVR order cause it does have quite a bit of additional upgrades for the price but the savings does help ease the pain a little. So far my impression is that the car is more bark than bite but the bark is very very sweet. And the Estoril blue is absolutely gorgeous. Every time I see it, it makes me smile.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,418 Posts
Good to be back. It's like I never left ;)
I picked it up last weekend. It has a few little things the dealer is going to cover under the 100k CPO warranty which I'm very thankful for. I can't wait to get it back though. I gotta say still have a little fomo from cancelling my MY18 SVR order cause it does have quite a bit of additional upgrades for the price but the savings does help ease the pain a little. So far my impression is that the car is more bark than bite but the bark is very very sweet. And the Estoril blue is absolutely gorgeous. Every time I see it, it makes me smile.
Congratulations. That is a pretty color. You can always get it pullied and tuned to turn it into a real monster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1st post here bumping this older thread. I just picked up a 15' SVR with only 13,500 miles from CarMax in Dallas. It is nearly perfect except for the seat piping. Can the rest of material be removed and is the leather piping under it real leather I could dye blue? If not looks like I'm looking at a custom replacement of the seats but with a real leather piping. Could be same price either way considering the labor time and cost to have a good shop repair piping.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
59 Posts
It's 100% fading. There is actually zero denim staining on the seat. The leather is in exceptional shape. Other seats are fine but they were relatively unused. The piping is a very unusual material. I'm used to it being almost leather/vinyl like but this is more like nylon with a white coating. The white coating is worn off the bottom part and it's basically the grey color. I'll post some pics later tonight.
I have the same issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts