RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen or can identify this picture. The rig drops overnight evenly and if left for more than 4 days will completely drop.

Thanks,

John
Los Angeles

2010 RR NSC

1605117254166.png

·
Registered
2012 Rover Autobiography . 2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / SoldL322
22 Posts
I can't see your pictures very clearly, but it doesn't look like all four are down only one, so you have a leaky strut

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. I just changed the two front with New Arnott struts. The repair shop is not cooperating, but that's a different story. Thanks again!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Your front left strut is bad
Thanks for the reply. I just changed the two front with New Arnott struts. The repair shop is not cooperating, but that's a different story. Thanks again!
Wouldn't that be a bad height sensor in the front left? The graphic shows the wheel hyper-extended, and not on the bump stops. That's what my Sport was showing when the height sensor was bad. The computer kept trying to lower that wheel (air out of the strut) thinking the ride height was too high.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,237 Posts
It drops overnight because is sees the left front corner as being high and it tries to lower it to match the others. It wakes up every few hours and relevels. If it can't relevel it will drop it to the stops eventually. Since you replaced the struts recently make sure the height sensor is attached to the front lower control arm AND make sure the arm on the sensor is pointing out towards the tire. It is possible to reinstall the connection wit the arm facing the wrong way. If its pointing in it will see an increase in height as lowering that wheel, and a decrease in height as raising that wheel. If you didn't disconnect the link for the arm the sensor may have been damaged if the hub and axle hung disconnected while the struts were removed and replaced, or the link itself broke where it attaches to the control arm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It drops overnight because is sees the left front corner as being high and it tries to lower it to match the others. It wakes up every few hours and relevels. If it can't relevel it will drop it to the stops eventually. Since you replaced the struts recently make sure the height sensor is attached to the front lower control arm AND make sure the arm on the sensor is pointing out towards the tire. It is possible to reinstall the connection wit the arm facing the wrong way. If its pointing in it will see an increase in height as lowering that wheel, and a decrease in height as raising that wheel. If you didn't disconnect the link for the arm the sensor may have been damaged if the hub and axle hung disconnected while the struts were removed and replaced, or the link itself broke where it attaches to the control arm.
Thank you gentleman,

That said, M Canning that explanation is probably the most logical. I will need to look for that sensor since I have not been able to find it before. The rig does exactly as you described. This could save me from replacing the strut again to no avail.

Thanks,

John
Los Angeles

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

This is the front LH one, right up on the subframe near the steering gear.

The sensors are left and right specific, the left ones have a white arm and the right ones have a black arm. The rear ones have a longer plastic arm than the fronts and are also color coded the same way. All of them point outwards towards the tires. The fronts it may be possible to get the arms on backwards, but the backs are pretty well buried up under the upper wishbone that they really only can go on one way (unless the entire unit gets swapped left for right, or vis versa).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's the left and right side fronts...the left side is easy to identify and the right side must be hidden by the cover over it.
right_s.jpg
left_s.jpg

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Looks good, so at least its installed correctly, may be bad, or maybe just needs the connector cleaned with electical connector cleaner, or something similar. Try unplugging it and then plugging it back in. Sometimes a little bit of dirt or corrosion causes issues with most things on these trucks, doing that at least is free.

You could also disconnect the sensor arm from the control arm, turning the car on to the ACC position and moving the sensor arm up and down while watching the display to see if that side changes on the off road display screen. Watchout because the suspension may try to change height while your doing that even without the truck running.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent ! I will do that and let you know what happens. Do you think that the Left side is missing the plastic shroud like the Right side has? Just curious if the shop I took it into decided it was not necessary to reinstall.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Can't help with the shroud question my 06 doesn't have shrouds on either side and I don't appear to have any places to attach some other shroud to up under the main inner wheelwell covers. .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't help with the shroud question my 06 doesn't have shrouds on either side and I don't appear to have any places to attach some other shroud to up under the main inner wheelwell covers. .
So, after cleaning the sensor, the rig continues to drop overnight. I am thinking of calibrating the suspension before I replace the sensor or event the entire strut. I am thinking of buying the 4Dcan dignostic tool from RSW 4Dcan Diagnostic Tool. Storey Wilson has provided many videos that we all share on this site and seems to be a good tool to have. I don't think the shop I took the RR calibrated after replacing the front struts. The saga continues !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts