Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE suffered catastrophic suspension strut failure with the front drivers side strut snapping at the top knuckle and the passenger side found to be cracked. I have become aware of other instances of this problem on other vehicles locally including on a Range Rover Sport. Fortunately I was driving fairly slowly on a straight road at the time of the failure. If the incident had occurred at high speed or on a bend and I shudder to think of what the result might have been. I contacted Land Rover Customer Support whose technical team said it wasn't a product problem and there was nothing to be done.
PLEASE BE AWARE AND HAVE YOUR VEHICLES CHECKED.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Automotive side marker light
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread Wood
Automotive tire Wood Tread Motor vehicle Tints and shades

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey thanks for posting. I've seen this documented on the fullfattrr site, and they post a range of VINs this affects - all in the 2015 model year. I see you are in the UK too, I wonder if this has impacted anyone in the US.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,872 Posts
If it happened to a few vehicles in the USA, the Federal authorities would act like they did for the L322 front propshaft/failures.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,872 Posts
No, they did a recall. There wasn't a universal joint on the front propshaft at the diff end. As the diff was body mounted LR must have assumed it wouldn't need a UJ.

April 4, 2007 NHTSA ACTION NUMBER: PE07019
FRONT DIFFERENTIAL/DRIVESHAFT FAILURE

NHTSA Action Number: PE07019
Components POWER TRAIN
Opened From: April 4, 2007–August 15, 2007
Summary
IN RESPONSE TO AN INFORMATION REQUEST (IR) LETTER SENT BY THE OFFICE OF DEFECTS INVESTIGATION (ODI), FORD STATED THAT THE PRIMARY CAUSE FOR THE MAJORITY OF THE REPORTED FRONT DIFFERENTIAL/DRIVE SHAFT FAILURES IS A MISALIGNMENT OF THE JOINT BETWEEN THE TWO COMPONENTS. CERTAIN LEVELS OF MISALIGNMENT MAY OVER TIME CAUSE AN UNEVEN WEAR OF THE SPLINES. CONTINUED WEAR OF THE SPLINES MAY RESULT IN A SHEARING OF THE SPLINES AND THE INABILITY OF THE DRIVESHAFT TO TRANSFER TORQUE TO THE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL.

TO ADDRESS THE ISSUE IN THE FIELD, FORD INITIATED A SERVICE CAMPAIGN IN JUNE 2003 TO CORRECT THE MISALIGNMENT ISSUE AND, IF NECESSARY, REPLACE THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT AND/OR DIFFERENTIAL. THE SERVICE CAMPAIGN COVERED MODEL YEAR (MY) 2003 AND MY 2004 VEHICLES BUILT FROM APRIL 18, 2002 THROUGH JULY 3, 2003. IN PRODUCTION, FORD INTRODUCED A CHANGE TO THE LUBRICATING GREASE OF THE JOINT IN FEBRUARY 2003 AND A CHANGE TO THE ASSEMBLY PLANT ALIGNMENT PROCESS IN JULY 2003 TO ADDRESS THE MISALIGNMENT AND WEAR ISSUE.

ODI IDENTIFIED ONE CRASH RELATED TO THE ALLEGED DEFECT. THE CRASH INVOLVED A SUBJECT VEHICLE BEING STRUCK IN THE REAR AFTER BECOMING DISABLED BY A FRONT DIFFERENTIAL/DRIVESHAFT FAILURE AND PULLING TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.

THIS PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO AN ENGINEERING ANALYSIS (EA07-012) TO FURTHER ASSESS THE SCOPE, FREQUENCY AND SAFETY CONSEQUENCES OF FRONT DIFFERENTIAL/DRIVESHAFT FAILURES IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLE POPULATION.
ecember 3, 2008 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 08V635000
FRONT DRIVESHAFT JOINT REPLACEMENT
CONTINUED VEHICLE OPERATION CAN EVENTUALLY RESULT IN THE SPLINES SHEARING AND A LOSS OF DRIVE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 08V635000
Manufacturer LAND ROVER
Components POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected 19,168
Summary
LAND ROVER IS RECALLING 19,168 MY 2003-2005 RANGE ROVER VEHICLES. THE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL COUPLING SLEEVE AND THE PROPELLER SHAFT MAY BE MISALIGNED, RESULTING IN SPLINE WEAR OVER A PERIOD OF TIME. AS THE WEAR BETWEEN THE PROPELLER SHAFT AND THE DIFFERENTIAL SPLINE COUPLING PROGRESSES, NOISE AND VIBRATION ARE EXPECTED.
Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A REVISED DESIGN OF THE PROPELLER SHAFT, THE FLANGE KIT AND HEAT SHIELD KIT. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JANUARY 6, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT LAND ROVER AT 1-800- 637-6837.
Notes
In the OP's case, I would definitely raise the issue with the NHTSA. They might get LR to open their eyes (and wallets).

Reactions: seatosky

·
Registered
2011 RRS 3.0 TDV6 Dynamic HSE Lux Fuji White on Ebony & Ivory
539 Posts
I don’t think the NHTSA is going to care much about a vehicle in the UK. You would need cases in the US with US market vehicles for them to begin investigating.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,872 Posts
Oops! I saw the US flag but on Seatosky's post. Surely similar failures have occurred in the USA.

·
Registered
2011 RRS 3.0 TDV6 Dynamic HSE Lux Fuji White on Ebony & Ivory
539 Posts
Looking at the break it seems the ball joint corroded and caused the aluminum to crack. Not sure if the ball joints had been replaced on this particular car, but the pinch bolts could have been over tightened exasperating the situation. If this is the case I doubt there is anything NHTSA or any other governing body would do as it’s the place the ball joints were replaced at who caused the issue. Making sure the mating surfaces are clean, a light coating of copper spray and correct torque specs would help alleviate this issue. If those are factory ball joints and never touched them there’s a fighting chance for some sort of action.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was told that the problem may be that there was a steel bolt through the aluminium strut. as the bolt and strut expand and contract at different rates it eventually causes a crack in the strut. There should probably be a bush around the bolt to take away this expansion/contraction problem. As I said LR said there was not a problem where clearly there is.

·
Registered
55 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts