RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes, you are correct... that is a ball joint. Looks to be the driver's side steering/rack and pinion ball joint to me... Do you know if it is serviceable... By serviceable I mean does it have a Grease Zerk/Fitting somewhere atop that ball joint so as it can be properly greased? This allows for the ball joint to be cleansed when new and fresh grease is pumped into the joint via a grease zerk/fitting thus extending it's life exponentially and keeping said joint lubed and from drying out.

I plan on greasing the snot out of every grease zerk/fitting and ball joint I can find underneath my Rover today. It's what they mean when "they" say when a vehicle's steering and suspension components need a full "Lube-Job"...

Thanks for the Pics btw... Very Helpful Indeed!

Best regards,
-Ham

ITS FINALLY FIXED! They replaced that part and all the squeaking sounds are gone. Its wonderful. I have only driven about 1000 km since the fix and haven't done any offroading yet, but so far so good. Hopefully, this helps anyone who was having the same type of issue.

HAM - what is the point of this part? The shop tech was saying it takes wear when the truck is leaning more on one side, like when you offroading but I am dealing with a Spanish/English communication issue so we might not have understood each other clearly.

If that is what it is for, any idea on what caused it to wear with only 40K kms? That seems a bit fast, although I am rough with my Range Rover a bit so I can understand some premature wear and tear but 40K seems pretty low still.

any insight to prevent this from happening again would be great

Emeka

·
Registered
258 Posts
ITS FINALLY FIXED! They replaced that part and all the squeaking sounds are gone. Its wonderful. I have only driven about 1000 km since the fix and haven't done any offroading yet, but so far so good. Hopefully, this helps anyone who was having the same type of issue.

HAM - what is the point of this part? The shop tech was saying it takes wear when the truck is leaning more on one side, like when you offroading but I am dealing with a Spanish/English communication issue so we might not have understood each other clearly.

If that is what it is for, any idea on what caused it to wear with only 40K kms? That seems a bit fast, although I am rough with my Range Rover a bit so I can understand some premature wear and tear but 40K seems pretty low still.

any insight to prevent this from happening again would be great

Emeka
Bushings are parts of the suspension and act as buffers between contact/attachment points. They make for a nice tight ride when in good shape. Unfortunately, when I crawled under my Rover I found no grease zerk fittings on any bushing I cam in contact with. Meaning they are not serviceable and have to be totally replaced rather than maintaining them as I have on other vehicles...

21 - 23 of 23 Posts