Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2018 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE facelift
11 Posts
Hi
Just joined your community and saw your post, which highly interests me!
I've been having this sound for a while, only much stronger than yours and almost al day through, every day...
Did you find the reason and fix it? Any hint will be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Just joined your community and saw your post, which highly interests me!
I've been having this sound for a while, only much stronger than yours and almost al day through, every day...
Did you find the reason and fix it? Any hint will be appreciated, thanks
Hey man! What year is your RRS? I haven't got it fixed it. It happens off and on, but today is one of the on days and its driving me nuts.
At least it does seem like its a somewhat of a common problem so there should be a fix. The times I have taken it into the dealership, it's not there, so they haven't been able to do much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had similar squeaking in my '13 RRS SC. Continued for a couple of months until the Air Suspension Fault lights started coming on. Replaced front right shock and the squeaking was entirely gone.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had similar squeaking in my '13 RRS SC. Continued for a couple of months until the Air Suspension Fault lights started coming on. Replaced front right shock and the squeaking was entirely gone.
Ah this is good to know. Now 13 was the pre facelift version of the one I got right? Do you know if the suspension components are the same pretty much?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi everybody, thanks for yr interest.

it is a 2019 MY RRS L494, 3.0l diesel 306 hp
Accidentally I had a job to do in the town where the dealership is and they were so kind to accept me for an inspection without a prior booking.
"Fortunately" the sound was there, so it took them 3 min to locate it - it was (and still is) one of the front right ball joints. Sorry, not sure about the exact name in English.
So they made an order and I went home, waiting for the parts to come. I a couple of weeks, luckily, I will have to go again and have this issue fixed.

Will report later

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi everybody, thanks for yr interest.

it is a 2019 MY RRS L494, 3.0l diesel 306 hp
Accidentally I had a job to do in the town where the dealership is and they were so kind to accept me for an inspection without a prior booking.
"Fortunately" the sound was there, so it took them 3 min to locate it - it was (and still is) one of the front right ball joints. Sorry, not sure about the exact name in English.
So they made an order and I went home, waiting for the parts to come. I a couple of weeks, luckily, I will have to go again and have this issue fixed.

Will report later
Perfect. Yes please let us know. It will be a lot easier if we can tell the dealership where to look if we go in and the sound isn't happening.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's what I mean - one of those two..., rather the upper one
View attachment 283620
My bad eossai I didn't realize yours was new. The 13 was the last year of the previous generation. That said, the vast majority of suspensions are functionally nearly identical. What Fisher is describing is damage due to wear on a vehicle, which should not be the case with presumably less than 30k miles on it. Most likely your squeak is coming from the sway bar bushings if they are greasable. If not, then you have a defective bushing and the following may be helpful...

Fisher the part you're referring to is an outer tie rod. This will not make a squeaking noise as it fails, it will make a solid, deep, singular clunk noise that will happen moreso going over larger bumps. A ball joint on the other hand will make a slightly lighter sounding clunk that will happen over nearly every crack in the road. A bad ball joint will also tupically cause the steering wheel to jerk back and forth when driving over a rough road. Squeaking due to failure will typically only come from one of two places: control arm bushings or an upper shock mount. Control arm bushings will also clunk very similarly to a tie rod except instead of a single clunk going over larger bumps, the first clunk is followed by a second lighter clunk or a slight rattling sound. Control arm bushings typically only squeak when they're wet - so after driving through a puddle or in the rain. An upper shock mount will squeak even when dry but, depending on degree of failure, can cause a clunk that sounds exactly like control arms except for the rattle. Best way to tell the difference is to floor it and then slam on the brakes. If either or both cause the steering wheel to jerk, you have a bad control arm. If not, then it's a bad shock mount.

That will be $492.39 as a "standard in depth diagnostic charge". Will that be cash or credit? Lmao

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My bad eossai I didn't realize yours was new. The 13 was the last year of the previous generation. That said, the vast majority of suspensions are functionally nearly identical. What Fisher is describing is damage due to wear on a vehicle, which should not be the case with presumably less than 30k miles on it. Most likely your squeak is coming from the sway bar bushings if they are greasable. If not, then you have a defective bushing and the following may be helpful...

Fisher the part you're referring to is an outer tie rod. This will not make a squeaking noise as it fails, it will make a solid, deep, singular clunk noise that will happen moreso going over larger bumps. A ball joint on the other hand will make a slightly lighter sounding clunk that will happen over nearly every crack in the road. A bad ball joint will also tupically cause the steering wheel to jerk back and forth when driving over a rough road. Squeaking due to failure will typically only come from one of two places: control arm bushings or an upper shock mount. Control arm bushings will also clunk very similarly to a tie rod except instead of a single clunk going over larger bumps, the first clunk is followed by a second lighter clunk or a slight rattling sound. Control arm bushings typically only squeak when they're wet - so after driving through a puddle or in the rain. An upper shock mount will squeak even when dry but, depending on degree of failure, can cause a clunk that sounds exactly like control arms except for the rattle. Best way to tell the difference is to floor it and then slam on the brakes. If either or both cause the steering wheel to jerk, you have a bad control arm. If not, then it's a bad shock mount.

That will be $492.39 as a "standard in depth diagnostic charge". Will that be cash or credit? Lmao
Hey thanks for the info. What your PayPal? ??
I'm bit hearing any clunking or feeling anything in the steering, at least not yet. Would prolonged time in water cause degreasing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys,
I still don't have my problem fixed. Parts delivery takes ages at our latitudes...
But, after a couple of days of riving in snow and rain the squeaky thing STOPPED!!
Now it seems alright.
It was a pure miracle that it showed up when I was at the Dealer's, otherwise I would have to suffer that ironic smile again.

LHarkness, impressive analysis!! Yet, mine seems to be sth different - it definitely has a lot to do with steering. You can (could..) hear it when you make left/right/left/right while the car is still, with engine running.
Time will show, hopefully next week

·
Registered
258 Posts

Good advice!

Every time I change the oil I crawl underneath with a grease gun with a flex tube grease zerk fitting, Valvoline Grease... and hit every single steering and suspension front end component that has a grease zerk fitting sticking out from it and lube the snot out of them. This makes all these joints and bushings last a long time and salt, road grime, dry rotting, etc ruin them quick. Another item to check/hit on are those CV Axle Boots. If you can keep them in good shape, full of grease, and no tears they last and last too!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey guys the front end is making a squeaking sound and sometimes it sounds like a rubbing sounds when the suspension is getting compressed or when the air suspension is going up or down.

This only tends to happen near the end of the day as I cant hear it or recreate the sound when I take it to the dealership

Here is a clip
20191230_185327_1.mp4
Hi

Did you get this fixed? I have the exact same sound coming only when the car is driven for at least 20 minutes or so and gets warned up enough.

The sound is similar to a bad mattress squeaking and exactly matches your audio clip. It comes on every little bump on the road and when turning the steering wheel. There is not clunking sound but only squeaking.

Even though my car is 2014 model, it is driven fir only about 29,000 km and I got it brand new from the dealership. The dealership here is very bad and they really don't know what is going on.

Let us know how it was fixed which will be a major help for me.

Thank you

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi

Did you get this fixed? I have the exact same sound coming only when the car is drives fire at least 20 minutes or so and gets warned up.

The sound is similar to a bad mattress squeaking and exactly matches your audio clip. It comes on every little bump on the road and when turning the steering wheel. There is not clunking sound but only squeaking.

Let its know how it was fixed which will be a major help for me.

Thank you
Not yet. During my next oil change, about a month away they are going to take a look and I'll post an update for sure

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE - So after some offroading the other day, the sound has now become a consistent squeaking sound. Which was great cause I was able to get to the dealership and have them take it out for a drive. The tech says it sounds like the bushings are making the noise. They are thinking they are out of grease and need to be regreased. I am taking it in tomorrow morning for them to look at it and do the work.

I'll report back with what happens.

·
Registered
22 Posts
UPDATE - So after some offroading the other day, the sound has now become a consistent squeaking sound. Which was great cause I was able to get to the dealership and have them take it out for a drive. The tech says it sounds like the bushings are making the noise. They are thinking they are out of grease and need to be regreased. I am taking it in tomorrow morning for them to look at it and do the work.

I'll report back with what happens.
I hope it will be fixed with regresing for you. Let us know about the outcome.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hey everybody, just got back from dropping off the truck and check out what they found (video). It was the plastic bushing that were creating the noise. They are regreasing them now, but told me just to file a warranty claim to get them replaced fully in the future.

UPDATE - They could not fix it by greasing it, its still squeaking, they need to replace the part. I am filing a warranty claim for it. I will keep updating once it's replaced.

The part number is LR048451 (insulator-stabilizer bar) in case anyone was wondering.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That's what I mean - one of those two..., rather the upper one
View attachment 283620
Yes, you are correct... that is a ball joint. Looks to be the driver's side steering/rack and pinion ball joint to me... Do you know if it is serviceable... By serviceable I mean does it have a Grease Zerk/Fitting somewhere atop that ball joint so as it can be properly greased? This allows for the ball joint to be cleansed when new and fresh grease is pumped into the joint via a grease zerk/fitting thus extending it's life exponentially and keeping said joint lubed and from drying out.

I plan on greasing the snot out of every grease zerk/fitting and ball joint I can find underneath my Rover today. It's what they mean when "they" say when a vehicle's steering and suspension components need a full "Lube-Job"...

Thanks for the Pics btw... Very Helpful Indeed!

Best regards,
-Ham

1 - 20 of 23 Posts