RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 HSE
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I parked in the garage, turned off the car, and my family and I exited, shut doors, etc. I did not lower to access height (I rarely do). As I was going around my wife's car to go into the house, I heard a somewhat high-pitched electronic noise (buzzing) coming from the RR. I looked back and saw the RR dropping (air suspension adjusting?).

I did not hear a hiss, like a leaking air bag -- this seemed to be an electronically controlled activity, and the buzz was louder than than the hiss, assuming there was a hiss. I've read a number of threads about height sensors, EAS, etc., but never heard mention of an electronic buzzing associated with a downward change in height, only the hiss of air being released.

I've seen this happen several times on this RR -- the first few times I thought it was my imagination, because I was not in a good position to confirm to my satisfaction that it was actually happening, but this time I watched the downward movement against the backdrop of the garage wall (electrical socket at approximately hood/bonnet height came more into view). I do not think it was the rear suspension going up, and it may have been the entire vehicle going down, not just the front (too much to observe in a roughly one second episode).

The front appears to be level (not a left or right lean). The garage floor is level, as is the street and driveway, so I don't think it is automatic leveling (mentioned in another thread). The front tires are turned to the right.

I'm guessing this is not normal? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
rfd,

Was the vehicle level front to rear? At what position did the led indicators show the vehicle was in at the next restart and did the vehicle raise up on it's own at all? The sound you heard may have been the solenoids that actuate the valves. ibis1 ;)

·
Registered
2007 HSE
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed it occurring again tonight, and noted both front and rear lowered slightly. The front went down first, accompanied by the electronic buzzing, and the rear followed -- I could hear a slight hiss when it happened. So, it appears that all four corners are lowering more or less together.

I did not take note of the indicated height on the dash display -- I will try to do that next time I start up.

This happens within about 15 seconds of turning off the vehicle. I do not think it happens each time, but I'm starting to take more note of it at this point. The vehicle is parked inside the garage, on level ground. The doors are not locked. Seems to me it should be maintaining its height.

I have not noticed the vehicle rising after start-up, but once driving it's hard to tell when it's going up and down. I did raise it to off-road height today, then lowered to standard height, ran errands, etc.

Next time I take it into the dealer, I will address this with them, but that may be a couple months from now and I'd like to be able to give them a good idea of what to look for so I don't get the "they all do that" answer (unless it's true -- that all FFRRs lower after the engine is shut down and the occupants leave the vehicle).

·
Registered
93 Posts
rfd,
You most likely have a height sensor that's starting to bite the bullet. The vehicle is leveling itself, which is normal. If lowering, the front drops first. If raising, the front raises last. A height sensor that is not holding calibration will cause a lot of adjustments. (leveling) Good luck! ibis1 ;)

·
Registered
2007 HSE
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, ibis1.

It's seems to be happening a bit more frequently, so when next I get near a dealer I will try to explain it to them, as I'm sure it will be perfectly fine once I get there. At least it's covered by warranty...

I did measure all around and found that the front left seems to be about 1/4 inch higher than the other three corners (measured vertically from ground, over center hub, to wheel arch) when in normal height. Actually, it seems to be a bit higher when fully lowered to access height, as well...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts