RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ongoing issue that myself and the dealer cannot figure out. I brought my car in for new rear suspension as the ride was bouncy. They replaced the both rear suspension assemblies. This fixed the bouncy suspension.

Since the replacement of the rear suspension I now have a error "suspension in extended mode" when I lower the vehicle to access mode. The vehicle will lower to access mode and immediately give the error and raise to normal ride height.

The dealer has replaced all height sensors. Also calibrated the suspension. When they hook it up to the diagnostics I am told that the sensors are reading properly. Any ideas on what can be causing the error and raising the vehicle?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
So the suspensions rise to extended ride height when you try lowering them to access mode, right? It's as if the system is detecting a non-existent obstruction under the car while you are lowering it, which in a real world scenario would cause the suspensions to (correctly) reverse direction and rise to extended mode, in an attempt to clear the obstruction that the car thinks you are grounded on... That's messed up. In my opinion, either a pressure relief valve or line in the air suspensions harness is clogged (or got pinched as a result of their repair), or they mounted or reconnected something incorrectly / reversed (valve blocks?) as they were servicing and reassembling your rear suspensions.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
FWIW, I checked the shop manual's EAS section for "Diagnosing and Testing", and this is one of the symptoms described in the troubleshooting list, along with possible causes and action to be taken by the shop:

SYMPTOM: System detects extended mode unnecessarily when lowering

POSSIBLE CAUSES: Crossed gallery and air spring pipes
Incorrect valve block installed to front or rear
Damage or blockage in air harness

ACTION: Refer to the guided diagnostic routine on the approved diagnostic system.
My money is on "Crossed gallery and air spring pipes"... :wink: They did replace the air springs as part of your repair of the rear suspensions, no?

Also, what model year is yours? I want to make sure I am looking at the related shop manual and if there are any specific TSBs out for similar symptoms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is for a 2006 RRS. The rover is still at the dealer. I will call them today and ask for an update. I will ask them to recheck the gallery and air spring pipes as they did replace the air springs as part of the repair.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so I just spoke with the dealer and they were able to pin point the problem. The suspension would give the "suspension in extended mode" and raise up intermittently. After about three tries putting into access mode it would finally stay in access mode. I am told that the ECU is bad. They swapped ECU's with another car they had on the lot and my car operated fine and the swapped car had the same issues mine had. I guess the ECU is giving a wrong voltage to one of the sensors which is causing a false error.

I bought the car used about 4 months ago. I have no idea who owned the car before. I have read about people reprogramming, I believe the ECU, to ride in access or extended mode. Is there possility that my ECU could have been programmed which is causing this error?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to update you all. I chose not to have a new ECU installed. The ability to put the car in access mode on the first attemp does not justify the cost of the ECU. If I notice other issues down the road I may change the ECU.

I noticed that like the dealer said, on the third attempt to put the car in access mode it actually stays in access mode. I have no issues putting the car in normal mode or extended mode.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
TripleE said:
I have to say, this feature would be great for off-roading. :thumb:
...unless the extension lasts for more than 4 hrs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had same issue. 2006 Range Rover Sport.

In my vehicle the filters inside the desiccant dryer attached to the compressor pump were clogged, which resulted in slow venting when the vehicle was lowering.

I was also having issues with intermittent faults triggered by C1A13-64 error code (Gallery pressure does not decrease when venting). When the vehicle sends signal to lower, it opens the exhaust valve and the front right / left valves, which in my case caused an increase in the pressure on the gallery pressure sensor (because the pressure vents through the desiccant dryer, which was clogged, and the increased pressure from the front springs caused a spike in the pressure on the gallery pressure sensor when the front right/left valves open and the exhaust valve can't vent the pressure quickly enough).

Replaced the desiccant filters and desiccant, reassembled and so far it looks to have resolved both issues. Huge difference in the amount of time it takes the vehicle to lower since the air can now flow freely.

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover Sport
5 Posts
I've just replaced my air compressor - prior to this I had intermittent suspension faults, including sometimes exactly the sypmtoms you describe - after the change no problems. Mine (a 2005 model) had broken down dessicant which completely blocked filters at both ends of the dessicant chamber so any movements in the suspension were really slow. In the case of lowering, this was so slow that the car thinks it's bottomed out on something so raises itself again.

Don't change the compressor like I did - get a rebuild kit and stick with the original one, and blow out the air lines when you rebuild it.

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover Sport SC L320
120 Posts
Is there a specific way to "blow out" the air lines? I am hoping that SDD has the exact procedure you have in mind and is the standard way of bleeding/purging the air in the EAS.

Thanks.

-John

I've just replaced my air compressor - prior to this I had intermittent suspension faults, including sometimes exactly the sypmtoms you describe - after the change no problems. Mine (a 2005 model) had broken down dessicant which completely blocked filters at both ends of the dessicant chamber so any movements in the suspension were really slow. In the case of lowering, this was so slow that the car thinks it's bottomed out on something so raises itself again.

Don't change the compressor like I did - get a rebuild kit and stick with the original one, and blow out the air lines when you rebuild it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts