Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

The last couple weeks I would have this message and orange symbol on the dashboard. I took it the dealer and they told me that I need my air compressor and relay replaced as well as the front leveling valve as well as the rear leveling valve.

The thing is when it is not on, the car raises and drops normally, also when I turn the car on and off I can perform the functions normally.

Do I really need those things replaced or is it a simple sensor I can have replaced? I changed the fuse and didnt help. I was wondering also do I need to reset the computer or reset the battery?

Thanks for all your help

Eddy

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,015 Posts
Without a specific diagnostic trouble code, it's hard to tell... All of the dealer's claims sound plausible, but compressor and exhaust valves / valve blocks all failing and requiring replacement at the same time? I'm a bit skeptical. They may just be trying to get you to pay for "wholesale" replacement of all EAS parts that are likely to cause such a fault - compressor and valves - so you don't come back all pissed off a week later because they didn't diagnose the issue thoroughly and the problem has returned... Most people would forego the hassle of getting a second opinion and go for that expensive "Let's replace everything" option once the car is in the dealer's hands. That's why I have been steering clear of LR dealers since my car has been out of factory warranty, except for recalls. ;-)

The good news is that an amber / orange EAS fault light doesn't mean disaster is imminent, so if you are willing to put up with the hassle and possibly save a good chunk of money you could get your Sport to another dealer or, better yet, an experienced independent Land Rover shop (if you are lucky enough to live near one. Not everyone does), more interested in finding and fixing your specific issue rather than getting you out of their garage while keeping as much of your money as possible.

When the engine is not running you should only be able to drop your suspensions, not raise them. When does this fault pop up, randomly as you drive, like clockwork a couple of minutes after you start the engine, right away after the engine cranks...?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just went through this and was quoted by 2 indies and the dealer that I need to replace my compressor etc.
Found a another indie shop in the area who actually spent the 5 minutes to physically inspect the compressor and told me my reserve tank was cracked and the compressor was fine.

$75 part and 1 hour labor as oppossed to everyone else who wanted $1k to fix the whole thing...

Do your homework on this one..

The reserve tank is made of plastic and I was told cracking is fairly common which allows for air to escape and slow filling times which ends up setting off the amber alert in the bottom left dash you are seeing.

If the compressor is working and you can also hear a whistling sound ... that is the air leaving the tank as it is being filled ..

it was mentioned there are some other componenets that could have been involved (drier, etc) but a physical diagnosis will rule typically find the source of the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just went through this and was quoted by 2 indies and the dealer that I need to replace my compressor etc.
Found a another indie shop in the area who actually spent the 5 minutes to physically inspect the compressor and told me my reserve tank was cracked and the compressor was fine.

$75 part and 1 hour labor as oppossed to everyone else who wanted $1k to fix the whole thing...

Do your homework on this one..

The reserve tank is made of plastic and I was told cracking is fairly common which allows for air to escape and slow filling times which ends up setting off the amber alert in the bottom left dash you are seeing.

If the compressor is working and you can also hear a whistling sound ... that is the air leaving the tank as it is being filled ..

it was mentioned there are some other componenets that could have been involved (drier, etc) but a physical diagnosis will rule typically find the source of the problem.
I have this same error, and took it to a shop and they said to replace whole thing - and used air leaking sound when turning off car. Do you think its the same issue as yours?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Would be Great if anyone have some part nr or sources to where i can purchase a tank /compressor or airstrut.
Parts lookup: Lrcat
Buy parts: www.lrdirect.com or any other place you find in google that will ship to your location.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts