Range Rovers Forum banner

Suspension Fault Followed by others - Battery!

7K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  bkwanab 
#1 ·
I was having issues with my 2015 RR SVR where I would get suspension faults, the first time is was last year, I had the local dealer runs diag ... and felt that it was one of the accelerometer causing the fault. I suspected that my BlackVue Dashcam was the culprit - Last night during a 6+ inch storm in the north east (at 16 degrees outside) I started getting a Suspension fault, I restarted the SVR, and then received Suspension fault, and several others cascading on the drive home ......
once in the garage I was able to hook up a battery analyzer and the batter Was down to 11.8 volts, after a couple of hours charging to 14.7volts everything was right as rain this am... Looks like to me that the residual draw after shutting down /parking is slowly killing the batteries ....

anyone experience similar issues?

Thanks
Henry

#5 ·
This is not something many would do, but winding up with a dead battery really irritates me - so I now replace my battery for better or worse every 4 years. Interstate has the right battery for a lot cheaper than the dealer (dealer even told me to go there). Battery swap is easy once you get all the stuff out of the rear cargo area - only special step is you need to have a tool to reset the battery monitor or whatever in the car.

#6 ·
I was having issues with my 2015 RR SVR where I would get suspension faults, the first time is was last year, I had the local dealer runs diag ... and felt that it was one of the accelerometer causing the fault. I suspected that my BlackVue Dashcam was the culprit - Last night during a 6+ inch storm in the north east (at 16 degrees outside) I started getting a Suspension fault, I restarted the SVR, and then received Suspension fault, and several others cascading on the drive home ......
once in the garage I was able to hook up a battery analyzer and the batter Was down to 11.8 volts, after a couple of hours charging to 14.7volts everything was right as rain this am... Looks like to me that the residual draw after shutting down /parking is slowly killing the batteries ....

anyone experience similar issues?

Thanks
Henry
Range Rovers can suffer from bogus errors if the battery is at less than optimal charge. I have seen problems where a PO installed an underrated battery. Mack sure you have a 900 CCA one installed.

The problem gets confusing as our cars have multiple networks that communicate internally and with each other, Can-bus, fiber optic. etc. When a microprocessor receives am 'out of range' value it logs it but will continue until it occurs too often. This may be happen over just a few milliseconds or full minutes or evn days, depending on criticality. Here's the catch. Sometimes a momentary error will get 'flagged' and passed along the network where it may trigger another error in a different functional area but the original error is 'reset' and goes away.

I have found that when I get a 'hard' error I must first make sure the battery is fully charged. Then, using my diagnostic box I clear all errors before seeing if the subject error returns. If the battery was at all low, say 11.8V, it's almost certain the errors will not come back. If they do, and the battery is fully charged, then I know there is a real problem.

To date, over the past three Land Rovers I've owned, nearly every electrical 'problem' resulted from water ingress. So, I don't consider Range Rovers as electrical disasters as some would have you believe. But I do wish Land Rover would figure out how to keep them dry inside and if not then at least locate the electronica above high water levels and away from the many rain leakage areas.

Just think about this. When you first go to get into your RR, the remote uses current to release the locks and flashes some lamps too. Then as you turn on the ignition the steering column and seat adjusts electrically to your programmed position and the bloody fan will come on to slightly pressurize the cabin to keep nasty exhaust fumes out (thank the lawyers for that one). Then the suspension air pump may come on, you may enable the steering wheel heater (I love that feature), you may engage the windscreen demister and possibly the rear one too. You may need the lights to be on and possibly the windscreen wipers too. Oh, and don't forget the tens of microprocessors that are figuring out what y'all are doing and that's before you've even engaged the electronically controlled transmission. You are creating a voltage deficit that may not get completely recovered until you're off some miles down the road. On an early cold, wet morning your battery gets a wallop. If it's weak you can expect error codes.

So check it regularly and replace it early. Don't wait for the errors to begin accumulating. And if you drive it to a servce center the battery may be good enough by then for the 'technician' to not consider low voltage as a potential cause of your problem(s).

I love my 2006 RR SC. I bought it very cheap because of all the 'problems' the PO was experiencing that the dealer couldn't correct. I installed a new fully charged 900 CCA battery and it's been error free ever since. Yes, the blue tooth phone device was bad from water damage but I don't need it these days so I just bypassed the FO connections. The stereo amplifier works great now I've dried it out and cleaned all the contacts. Oh, and the rear view camera was broken but I replaced that with a $15 cheap Chinese one and a bit of ingenuity. Our cars are best when you stay away from the dealers workshops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.