RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, getting pretty frustrated with this air suspension problem.

The air compressor seems to run almost non-stop when in Standard hieght. In Wade Height and Highway Height the air suspension functions exactly as it should.

When driving I can feel the front end dip and rise randomly while driving. Almost everytime I pull up to a stop light the front end rise about 2-3 inches, it does this as I'm braking to a complete stop, or am completely stopped with the foot on the brake btw.

I believe that because the suspension is always using the reserve air in the tank to raise the car again, the compressor is always running to refill the tank. If I leave it in highway height the suspension stays static and the compressor does not run, same when in wade height.

This is really getting annoying because I prefer using the standard height, especially when off-roading which is the main use of this vehicle.

-Has new airbags all around
-Brand new compressor
-Rebuilt valve block
-Verified no leaks
-Maintains height overnight
-Recently had suspension calibrated at dealership (RR sensor replaced due to faulty readings per dealer)
-Swapped front sensor left to right, issue persists

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is a tough one. I know two people that are going through this and do not have a solution yet. One of them has repaired or swapped everything so far except the sensors with no change. Since you just had yours calibrated, I assume they would have found sensor dead spots which can happen from spending too much time in the same position. I don't know if the NRVs can be tested by the dealer computer or if they would show up as bad if they were intermittent.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
As you have swapped the sensors left to right, how about swapping in 2 new front sensors?
Possibly the issue shifted left to right with the sensor swap, but the results feel the same whilst driving?
Have you run the sensors manually through their range of motion whilst connected to an ohm meter?
I will check the sensors on the Borrego, and if still good, you are welcome to try them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm leaning towards the sensors too, but since they found an intermitten signal from the right rear sensor, I figured they would have found if there was issues with the front sensors........

Perhaps it is a sensor issue in which case Bolt you may be right, I just swapped the problem from left to right. I might just take you up on that offer.

I don't have an ohm meter but perhaps I will buy one this weekend

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of harbor freight but you can't beat the price on their free meter if you buy something else. Free with any purchase, just find a coupon somewhere. It does what it is supposed to do. I have a couple laying around just so I don't have to hunt for the good one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not a huge fan of harbor freight but you can't beat the price on their free meter if you buy something else. Free with any purchase, just find a coupon somewhere. It does what it is supposed to do. I have a couple laying around just so I don't have to hunt for the good one.
Nice! Now I know where to pick one up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
so what's the best way to test the sensors, off the vehicle and with a meter?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Kultur just drove off in his very tidy silver beast......(Thanks again for the front bags!)
We were going to swap in a pair of sensors from the Borrego (Still on coils) however, on careful testing, they both proved to have some bad sectors on the pot.
He is going to try a pair off ebay.
You are correct, the best way to test is to remove them, connect a meter via good clean, small clip leads to the center pin, and either one of the other pins. VERY slowly rotate shaft of pot whilst watching the meter. You are looking for a totally smooth, linear rise or fall in the resistance as you turn it. If it jumps around, and at any point the readings reverse whilst rotating in a single direction, it is bad. This is really easiest with an analog, needle type meter.......
Check it in both directions, by shifting clip lead from side to side on the plug. leave center connected for both sides.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Kultur just drove off in his very tidy silver beast......(Thanks again for the front bags!)
We were going to swap in a pair of sensors from the Borrego (Still on coils) however, on careful testing, they both proved to have some bad sectors on the pot.
He is going to try a pair off ebay.
You are correct, the best way to test is to remove them, connect a meter via good clean, small clip leads to the center pin, and either one of the other pins. VERY slowly rotate shaft of pot whilst watching the meter. You are looking for a totally smooth, linear rise or fall in the resistance as you turn it. If it jumps around, and at any point the readings reverse whilst rotating in a single direction, it is bad. This is really easiest with an analog, needle type meter.......
Check it in both directions, by shifting clip lead from side to side on the plug. leave center connected for both sides.
I have not used an analog meter in over 20 years. I do miss the satisfying sweep of the needle though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE:

I accidentally ordered the rear sensors instead of the front sensors. Upon looking at them and comparing them with the originals, the rubber piece that bonds the two metal parts together seemed flimsy. It did not feel like the type of rubber that would hold up to the harsh conditions under the truck and years of service. To the ebay vendors credit, they took the parts back no questions asked and promptly refunded my money.

Left is the OE Front Sensor. Right is the eBay Rear Sensor

So I ended up buying new Dunlop sensors from island 4x4. Interestingly enough, they came in Britpart boxes, but the parts themselves say Dunlop.

Long story short, It solved my random dipping problem and has reduced the rate of the compressor running in standard mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts