RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Just put a new bore and seal on my 18 month old compressor, put everything back together and it runs continuously. Seems to make good pressure the suspension functions correctly. Cuts off for lowering etc but once settled the motor starts again.

No obvious leaks although I am going to do more checks, tried switching to the valve block pressure switch instead of the tank one (my system is a mix of parts from different generations) there is no improvement. And when putting an ohmmeter across the pins sure enough the switch isn’t making.

Question is what would be the next most likely cause of the problem? Stuck valve or a leak or 2 faulty pressure switches?

The system is mostly new or rebuilt within the last 18 months. The valve driver was LR genuine.

Any pointers welcome!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
I have never had luck with rebuilding suspension compressors, somehow they seem to have issues reaching pressure after rebuild. they will have the volume to fill the tank but never the pressure to stop charging.
after my 3rd attempt I decided to install new units on both of my trucks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

Haven't got another look at the problem yet although on Sunday night I basically ran out of air, so either the compressor isn't pumping or the tank system can't store the pressure. Will report back when I find out more

Cheers

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found the problem tonight the piston seal had slipped out the retaining ring and got damaged so couldn’t pump the air effectively. There was no suction on the compressor intake pipe.

Ordered a rebuild kit from X8R on eBay this time, they get good reviews for quality. I haven’t been impressed with the last 2 rebuild kits which haven’t lasted long.

thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far so good on the compressor rebuild, the piston seal is a LOT tighter than the others I have fitted previously. Fingers crossed for a longer life out of this one!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts