RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
I average 14.5mpg's with 50/50 highway to city mileage... And I have zero problem with that number and it's pretty spot on. I was averaging less than that with a 15' Ford Explorer Sport that weighed 1K LBS more, powered by a twin-turbo V6, with 160 less horses than the Rover V8 Supercharged has. The Explorer averaged 13.5mpgs same driving... I'll take the 5.0Liter Supercharged Rover any day!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Where are you getting that the Explorer weighed 1k pounds more than your RRS? Pretty sure its curb weight is less than 5k pounds.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Where are you getting that the Explorer weighed 1k pounds more than your RRS? Pretty sure its curb weight is less than 5k pounds.
I was thinking of Gross Weight which is 6160lbs... Curb weight is 5K and you are correct. She was still overweight though and the body roll thru corners would surprise you randomly on corners that it should have carved up nicely... all metal components except for the hood and engine block are made of steel and sheet metal... The Rover's have far more aluminum components especially suspension parts... and of course the entire body is made of aluminum and the roof glass.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was thinking of Gross Weight which is 6160lbs... Curb weight is 5K and you are correct. She was still overweight though and the body roll thru corners would surprise you randomly on corners that it should have carved up nicely... all metal components except for the hood and engine block are made of steel and sheet metal... The Rover's have far more aluminum components especially suspension parts... and of course the entire body is made of aluminum and the roof glass.
Yep. Plus the Range rover sport has 50/50 weight balance which the last gen explorer did not (current one might be closer as it is a RWD based architecture). I am really pleased with the way my RRS handles- and I only have the HSE model so no adaptive dampers or active swaybars as you get on the V8s. Surprisingly good steering feel too- i swear its better than recent BMW sedans i've driven. Actually in some ways it reminds me of an overgrown e46 era BMW in terms of ride/handling/steering (that's a good thing). I bet there's a lot of ex BMW engineers still at JLR from the days when BMW owned Land Rover.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts