RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had a 2014 Range Rover Sport v8 supercharged dynamic for almost a year. You might not be as surprised as I am at my combined 23.5 mpg. I was not expecting this. I previously owned an Audi Q7, and I assumed that we would get worse gas mileage with the much larger and more powerful engine in the RRS. My very tiny Audi TTS gets only slightly better mileage. I didn’t buy either because I cared about gas mileage, so it was just a pleasant surprise that a vehicle with over 500 horsepower could be relatively fuel efficient. It is driven mostly in the city too.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
354 Posts

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,419 Posts
Try calculating the mileage with a calculator using miles driven and fuel consumed. You will be unpleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Try calculating the mileage with a calculator using miles driven and fuel consumed. You will be unpleasantly surprised.
This is how I record all my fuel ups, the car's computer is way too optimistic.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,419 Posts
@383vett I used to live in the Moraga Country Club back in the day. Small world.
Wow, really small world. We belong to the country club and I used to swim there before the shutdown. Been in Moraga 34 years. Only 16,000 people here. Enjoy your car. (y)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Anyone else use Fuelly to record their fuel usage?

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,144 Posts
For me ignorance is bliss so I don't bother calculating, but if I had to guess I bet I'm getting somewhere between 10-15 mpg. Some of the early reviewers were getting 8-10 mpg sometimes.

Sometimes before going to work 30 miles away, my gas will be at half and by the time I'm home it's moved a couple of ticks. Doesn't help that I have a tune and drive like I want to get my V8's money's worth. ;)

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
10 Posts
To be fair I get better fuel economy in the SCV8 RRS I'm in now than an XC90 T8 (with the battery not charged) or an XC60 T6 both 2.0 petrol engines admittedly carrying a rather large SUV around but they managed low teens at best in urban driving - I get better economy from the 5.0 in the RRS!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Must be a faulty fuel analysis system in the computer nowadays just to make you feel a little better every time you spend 100 bucks to fill up an oversized petro tank. Range rovers are notorious for bad gas mileage.
Fill up your gas tank, reset your trip odometer, drive a good distance to exhaust your tank, fill it up again then divide the number of miles by the number of gallons on your refill. This will give you a true reading on your miles per gallon. Should be somewhere in the 12 to 17 mpg range.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Use Fuelly to record your fuel consumption, it's easy to use.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
100 Posts
While the 5.0 V8 is larger displacement and horsepower it is also higher torque so can have taller gear ratios and lower RPMs than smaller 4 and 6 cylinder engines that need high RPMs to reach their torque peaks. Lower RPMs likely also reduce engine wear so win-win.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am tuned and have a LWB 5.0 much heavier than a L494 but it gets around 24 MPG highway and 17 MPG for city driving which is great. My G63 on the other hand has never gone over 12 MPG no matter what type of driving/condition. So the RR feels like a prius when driving it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Trip computer is anywhere from 12-18% optimistic depending on mix of city and highway mileage (18% optimistic city, 12% optimistic highway) for me.

It'll say ~21.5mpg on the display on long highway drives, but when I do the math after filling up it's 19mpg.

City driving I get ~14mpg on the display and closer to 12mpg in reality. I also have 275/55R20 KO2 off-road tires though.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The computer is set to be 8% optimistic. If you have access to the Configuration control files (CCF) you can adjust it to better match what you see when you manually calculate it. Here is a screen shot from my GAP tool:
View attachment 285676
Interesting - how did you get the figure of an 8% offset?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I think it should be set at 0% since that’s what I think most people would assume it was already set at.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts