RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all so I lost my original key on vacation, and I had a dealer order a new key and cut to the vin, but once I opened the door manually the alarm went off and now in security mode, the key turns to position l but that's all, wondering if anyone can give me some tips/ pointers on how to turn off the security lock and possibly start the car with the key the dealer made. Otherwise the dealer said $280 just for diagnostics plus any work that needs done and I have to tow it 100 miles. So any help will be much much appreciated. Thanks y'all

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
145 Posts
You need to sync the key, search the threads for your model and key sync, the blade is only part of it, once sync'd should just be a push of the button,,

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Without being able to turn the key, you cannot sync the remote.

What year?

If 03-05, the key is preprogrammed to the vehicle, so it should be recognized without issue, so I would check the condition of your vehicle battery before going any further. If +06, you need to have the key programmed(ignition, not just remote) which needs dealer grade equipment, which will probably end up costing you a tow bill, and most dealers charge a full hour labor to do this, some are only a half hour.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Not that we should have to, but a look at his prior posts says he has a '06.

Martin

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Not that we should have to, but a look at his prior posts says he has a '06.

Martin
Didn't even notice there were only a few, I've spent too long sorting through other's before to find a model year. OP and any others, please put model info in your sig to help.

With that said, you need to have the key programmed for it to turn in the ignition. I would call around to see if there is an indy shop that can do that for you closer than your dealer, but you are going to be looking at a tow bill either way.

Once the key is programmed, you will need to sync the remote. If whoever programs the key doesn't do it, you can do this yourself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thanks a lot of the clarification, between the 03-05 and the 06+ key programming. This is all I needed for now, will report back if I find a cheaper faster way other than the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
58 Posts
vitalimats,

Where is your Rover now? Your location is shown as Buffalo, and yet your key was lost while on vacation (I assume you were/are with the car? So, the car could be anywhere), you had a dealer cut new key, but are now 100 miles from a dealer? Understand now why we can't, without guessing, direct you to any closer shop that might be equipped to help?

The solution RoverGuy7 laid out is what must be done. A dealer will be equipped to program the key, but so too, any independent shop with "dealer grade" diagnostic equipment. Once programmed, the key sync process is described in detail in many links here on the forum. Use search.

If still in NY state, the Independent Service Shops link on the home page of this site will direct you to two capable shops. If elsewhere, the same link may find a capable shop close by.

http://www.rangerovers.net/service/index.html

Another independent shop locator may be found here: http://www.lrshops.com As always, use your own judgement when choosing between repair shops.

Meanwhile...., from your few earlier posts it appears your Rover suffered from steering column difficulties, but you failed to get back with how those were resolved (if, indeed they were). Info like that can be helpful to others. If unsolved, there may be more to your current dilemma than suspected...

Best wishes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, yeah I used to live in buffalo but i moved down south. Do you know of any independent shops in the Spartanburg sc area?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a dealer like 45 miles away in Greenville. Just was is panic mode when I wrote up the post, I made a switch that fixes the steering column problem.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Please change your shown address before it may matter in the future. You had all the upstate Boy and Girl Scouts excited about possibly being the first to rescue you!`)

Up at the top of ANY page of this forum is a "Home" button. Just for practice, press that, then scroll down slightly while keeping eyes left until you see "Independent Service Shops". Press that.... Choose State.

In this case, you'll end up with one result for SC, EuROVER, in Taylor..., which just happens to be not far from Spartenburg, near the intersections of I395 and I85. http://www.rangerovers.net/service/scarolina.html

That alternative link I provided earlier may lead to other choices for you to check out yourself.

Best...

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
There is a dealer like 45 miles away in Greenville. Just was is panic mode when I wrote up the post, I made a switch that fixes the steering column problem.
None of the rest of us here EVER panic...:shock:

Once this issue is resolved, walking through your column fix over in your other thread would complete that, and may be helpful to others....., if that's of any interest to you....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts