RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my 02 Rhino decided to activate the door locks by itself while sitting in the driveway on a sunny day. Every few minutes the door locks would lock and unlock but not the driver door. while using my key to attempt to unlock all doors, I found no response. The key only would manually lift the latch for the driver door but no response from all other doors. After repeated attempts, the door locks all responded with a quick unlock and then relock but this time going into super lock and locking all doors and me out in the process. A call to the dealer service department, was to hold key for thirty seconds in the unlock position to deactivate the superlock. Didn't work, no response. I could use key to open driver door and while enduring the blaring alarm, I eventually disconnected the battery and went to work on the driver door. How do I determine if the driver door outstation is at fault, can the problem be any of the outstations, or something else. Sounds like this problem is not uncommon./:(

·
Administrator
27,798 Posts
If the door locks are not responding to the key, the key rod may have come loose. Your random locking and unlocking is a failing microswitch within a latch. There is a stickie above with tests for the front latches.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,195 Posts
Your drivers door latch is faulty.

If every door was locking/unlocking one it's own EXCEPT the drivers door - then that's the one that's triggering it, as the BECM is thinking that one is telling it that it's been locked or unlocked, so it then triggers the rest of the doors to follow suit

You won't be able to un-superlock the other doors manually as superlocking disables the internal button to lock and unlock the door.

However, once the issue with the drivers door latch is fixed, (and possibly the EKA entered) then the other doors should all unlock themselves.

You should always be able to unlock and open the drivers door from superlock with the key as it's a mechanical connection (though it can be VERY stiff to operate - but from how I read your post, you have access into the drivers door already.

So next step is to get a replacement drivers door latch and swap that.

Marty

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Marty! After I posted my question it occurred to me that I had not considered the role the driver door latch would play in the problem. In will replace the latch and when successful, all the credit can go to you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the new latch has resolved the problem as you said it would. unfortunately in the process I did cause myself some grief when I ran into trouble getting that nasty little retaining clip off. If I had only read some of the other very informative posts regarding door lock/latch issues I could have saved a lot of time. Well at least I now know how to change out a key cylinder to place in a new handle. Thanks for your information. My next project is the headliner in this Rhino. I think I will read a lot, FIRST.

·
Administrator
27,798 Posts
Not to wander too far off topic, but headliners are easy. The only difficult part is getting all of the foam backing off the headliner board. A good trick for better adhesion is to put a couple coats of cheap paint on the board prior to starting the gluing process for the new material. There's some pretty good write ups that you will find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts