RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that the only way to open the passengers door when it is superlocked because of a malfunktion in the latch is to break the electronic part of this latch with a hammer and screwdriver to be able to open the mechanic part..
I moved the passengers seat and board and tried with 12v on the wirecolours as descriped in the forum it clicks and the superlock motor turns but nothing happens to open the door.
It is a a lhd 4.6 HSE 1994

I hope to open it otherwise because I hope to fix it.
Is it also true that after replacing the latch the on a early p38 the bcem will recognise the key automaticly.again.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Make sure you are connecting to the correct wires, the Orange/Pink and Pink/Black (colours in the connector to the latch) are the two wires that go to the superlock motor. Connecting 12V one way round will superlock it and the other way round to release it. But this will only remove the superlock, you still need to unlock the main lock part either with the fob or by pulling the sill button up. If you can hear the motor turning it should be doing something, although the motor may be turning but the mechanism is disconnected. If it cannot be released electrically, the only option is to destroy the latch. You break open the mechanical part so it releases a spring.

If your fob is synced, changing the latch will not affect the sync at all, it will still be synced. Sync is beteen the fob, the fob receiver and the BeCM, the latch is not involved at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the 12v trick again had no luck opening the door.
Tomorrow I ll have to break open the latch,..... fingers crossed

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,157 Posts
You don't need to run the superlock motor to un-superlock it - as crazy as it sounds.

The superlock motor is only used in superlocking the latch - as it moves a spring loaded pawl out of the way, so the central locking motor can move the locking mechanism all the way to superlock.

To unlock it, in theory, all you need to do is run the central locking motor to move the locking mechanism back to unlocked - the superlocking pawl then springs back into place, so that when you next lock it, it will only move the mechanism to 'lock' unless the superlock motor then activates and it will then move the pawl again and the CDL will operate a second time to go to superlock.

What actual door are you trying to open? you can only pulse the rear doors from in the vehicle, without the door card off the front door to get to them, as the BECM communicates with it over a serial connection and the outstations drive the front latches.

The wire colours you want are actually Pink/Black (motor common) and Orange Black (Central locking motor) 12V one way will lock it (just get a clunk and nothing else) and the other way will get it to unlock.

If you get nothing happening, then it's likely the CDL motor has burnt out (was a common thing on the earlier P38s) and you will either have to break the top of the latch, (the actual method is to get the white plastic part, as that has the locking spring in it which holds the door catch closed). You can also if it's a front door, open the rear door and cut through the metal striker hasp that the latch grabs onto and this will let you open the door without damaging the latch... you then just need to replace the hasp, or weld the original back up. If it's a rear door, then the latch needs to be broken, as there's no way to get to the striker for them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yesterday I gave a light tap and .....nothing.This morning it just openened by itself.The tailbutton also worked again.The central locking on all four doors does not work yet.
It won t start.I assume the becm still thinks it is superlocked I tried the keycode the display asked for.
I ordered a new latch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts