RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When they the SC that will ultimately fail on the RRS, do they put in a new and improved version or do they just replace the broke one with the same thing? I am looking at a 2012 and am wondering if I should get one that had the SC replaced?

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
huh?

There is not even close to enough info for us to begin. WHat new and improved version are you referring to? What ultimate failure are you referring to? SCs are a wear item just like an alternator and water pump. The cone bearing will eventually wear. Complete failure is rare because most people recognize noises and symptoms prior to letting a unit implode. Some folks deal with just the cone where others have the entire unit refurbished.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
799 Posts
Toadhall,

When I had mine replaced in December they told me that the old ones were self lubricating and because of this they had a lot of issues and failures so the new one they put in was an updated version that prevented the failures. I can't remember exactly what was updated but this is what they told me. Roverguy may have more insight in this.

Along with the SC, they also replaced the timing chains and tensioners which were also upgraded. This may be what the OP is referring to.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
They're really not supposed to be replacing the entire blower, just the nose cone with a new isolator. The isolator is sprung and wears out, causing the pulley shaft to rotor shaft to knock back and forth on varying loads.

That said, I don't know of a difference between the two, but possibly a better spring. This is also not a LR issue, all vehicles with this blower(TVS1900) are having this issue. If dealing with this out of warranty, I would suggest going with a solid isolator(I prefer poly over carbon or metal, as it should provide a little bit of dampening)

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
799 Posts
Thanks Roverguy,

Now I'm curious to see what they did. Trying to recall that repair, I remember something about using better guide pulleys on the timing chains or something like that. I'll see if I can dig up the invoice and have another look.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
...better guide pulleys on the timing chains or something like that.
Yes, the timing chain guides have been an issue, and have been redesigned. This would have caused a clicking/rattling noise mostly at idle, where as the SC isolator causes more of a knocking noise that is very appear ant when shutting the engine off, as well as when driving.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
231 Posts
Just to add to the self lubricating principle of the Eaton SC's, The oil sits way at the bottom of the unit far far from the actual nose cone and bearings. The oil was designed to vaporize and then move to the front nose bearing. This is pretty cool engineering - to bad that the smell of this used oil is simply disgusting - Old rotten milk times 10!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts