RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been a member for many years getting good information but have never had the occasion to post anything until now. I own a 2014 Range Rover with 3.0L supercharged engine. The torsional coupler failed after about 75K and it sounded horrible, like a bag of marbles was bouncing around in the engine. I did my research and these engines are notorious for this. I also saw many post where people said you had to remove the entire blower. You do not, you have to use several 1/4" drive extensions and be very patient but it can be done and it is not actually that difficult. All that has to come off is the snout, there are six 10mm bolts, the most difficult to get to is the front left but it is alot!! easier than removing the whole supercharger. The key is to loosen the black plastic Y-Shaped coolant pipe. You can do this with an 18" 1/4" extension and a 1/4" drive star bit. Once you remove the two bolts which can be seen by looking straight down at the base of the Y-pipe you can move it to the left and remove all the bolts. The snout comes off with a small amount of prying.

Total time for repair was 3 hours and that was while watching a rerun and breaking for coffee

On a scale of 1-10, about a 4 in difficulty.

I attached a photo for guidance, hope this helps someone save some time

·
Registered
52 Posts
I believe the 5.0 have the same issues. My 14 5.0 makes a noise too that I think is the supercharger snout. Do you hear it on start up more often ? How long were you hearing it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yes the 5.0 has the same issues. The isolator makes noise at idle. I’m thinking of replacing mine too. Thank you for sharing the picture.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
If you guys are replacing this, make sure you buy an upgraded coupler if available. This is a super common problem on my other supercharged car, they sell a much stronger replacement. My other car is grossly over boosted so it'll eat up stock couplers quickly, the upgraded one has not had an issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
brad s1
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing