RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a pulley as part of a package of items that were removed from an SVR before sale. Is there any advantage to doing this without upgrading the software at the same time? I’ve done ECU flashes on a lot of my cars, but usually wait for the warranty to expire. Since I’ve got some time, I likely won’t do a flash soon. Anyway, the same way boost can be increased by an ECU, it can be decreased as well if the blower is putting out “too much” air mechanically. (Just open a wastegate.) Am I right in assuming that just swapping the pulley is unlikely to lead to much of a gain? Thanks for any input.
Seth

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
53 Posts
An oversimplification of tuning at a high-level is finding the optimal AFR across the powerband. Playing with just one part of the equation will probably not yield anything, if not actually reduce power. I assume the stock tune can adapt fueling to compensate but the bookends are probably not very wide. Not to mention, OEMs tend to tune engines as lean as they can get to optimize fuel economy so adding more air without changing the fueling might create an even leaner scenario.

I've had the VelocityAP tune (without pulley) for over 2 years now and highly recommend it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that’s about what I expected. The tune regulates the AFR, so if it’s getting more air than expected (from the pulley), the path of least resistance is to open the waste gate and keep the PSI within acceptable (stock) levels. Alternatively, as most engines are built for higher performance, a simple flash can produce big gains by just dialing up the acceptable margin of boost and add a bit more fuel. (I have an old 996 Turbo, where you’re insane if you don’t do the flash. That engine will take almost anything you throw at it, under 1K HP. After that you need to do internal work.) I’ll do the tune when my warranty is up. I know the law, but it’s still a major hassle if the manufacturer doesn’t want to do a warranty repair that is unrelated to the modification. Sure, you’ll probably win in court, but after spending $200K in expert/legal fees for a $10K repair. Besides, the SVR is quick enough for its purpose, for now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts