Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting on behalf of a friend who has a 2015 5.0 supercharged with 80k miles. He recently spent 3k on his service and was advised he needs both timing chain and supercharger coupling replaced. The noise does not happen always. I would like to know if the car does really indeed need new timing chain tensioners and guides or if all it needs is the supercharger coupling.

· Registered
2016 Range Rover HSE V6 Supercharged
56 Posts
this is mine with 78k miles - needed chain/tensioners etc, V6 tho. When opened up discovered rods were gone too, got a full engine rebuild...(just fyi, not saying you're as lucky as me)

· Registered
632 Posts
I am posting on behalf of a friend who has a 2015 5.0 supercharged with 80k miles. He recently spent 3k on his service and was advised he needs both timing chain and supercharger coupling replaced. The noise does not happen always. I would like to know if the car does really indeed need new timing chain tensioners and guides or if all it needs is the supercharger coupling.
Normal noise for this engine. I bet if u ask your friend this happen more on a warm start.

My l405 has been doing this for almost 4 years now. I think every 5.0 makes this noise. I even posted a video about it. This noise has been out since 2009 when the first 5.0 came out. It happen even on the NA 5.0 and even the 3.0 (as it’s the same engine)

I’ve had it in at the dealer many times where my friend whose a lead tech showed me a few other trucks making the same noise.

lastly if you look on this forum and other forums for vehicles that use this Engine many individuals have spent thousands replacing timing chains and the couplers only to still have this noise. The timing chain noise is a type writer noise click. This noise is like a knock.

Next time your friend hear this noise have him rev the motor to 4000 rpm it will instantly go away.

· Premium Member
1,562 Posts
it’s the cam phasers. One or more are leaking oil pressure.

no harm no foul fortunately

my 16’ does not make this noise..I’m sure it’s because I’ve been doing 3,000 mile oil intervals

one of my old 2014 RRS’ made this noise, service records indicated that 10k mile intervals were done, my other 2014 did not make this noise. Guess what..5k mile intervals.

· Registered
2017 Range Rover SC
60 Posts
it’s the cam phasers. One or more are leaking oil pressure.

no harm no foul fortunately

my 16’ does not make this noise..I’m sure it’s because I’ve been doing 3,000 mile oil intervals

one of my old 2014 RRS’ made this noise, service records indicated that 10k mile intervals were done, my other 2014 did not make this noise. Guess what..5k mile intervals.
Amen to that. 5k oil change intervals with LiquiMoly 0w20 specialtec LR.
Have been doing 5k intervals on all my cars and I’ve had no issues with timing chains, phasers, pumps, rings, or anything else internal. If it’s lubed or operated by oil, then it had better be clean oil.

· Registered
632 Posts
I’ve been doing liqu moly oil changes every 3k. And I still have the noise and I’ve put most of the miles on my truck.

Don’t think frequent or infrequent oil changes have anything to do with this noise. My dealer has a 21 WM in the special blue color with only 620 miles making this same exact noise lol.

· Registered
1,492 Posts
No, not normal... Best case it's the Supercharger's "Coupling" and I hope that is ALL that it is and is your cheapest remedy/repair if in fact is such...

I hope I am wrong... But this sounds a lot like timing chain "Slap" and/or even worse a Whole-Lotta like a failing Piston Bearing against the Crank-Shaft's index journal...

My 14 L494 did that for the first 5 seconds upon every single start-up (until it became permanent) after I brought her home "used" from the JLR Dealership... 58 days later the engine blew a Rod-Bearing thus scoring the Crank-Shaft, losing compression, and ruining the engine. Thus causing a Total Engine Replacement to the tune of $32,000 after an $8K core credit for the core/blown engine that was sent back to "Solihul England".

I really hope I am wrong and you the best...

Mine was a result of the Previous Owner NOT changing the oil often enough, letting her run low, and using Jiffy-Loser Oil instead of the "JLR-Spec'd" Castrol Professional 0W-20 Spec'd oil and filter... She went almost 20K miles between oil changes and did the "Jiffy-Lube-ers/Losers" deal thus "Cheapin'-Out" on a $89,000 Vehicle which is beyond cheap, short-sided, and "Stup-It" as the kids say today. I'm NOT saying that is what is happening here to the OP. But the aforementioned is EXACTLY what the Dealer's Shop Foreman and Master Mechanic stated happened after they tore down the engine and Crank Shaft, Cylinders, Rings, Bearings, Etc... This is just my experience and take it for what it's worth. I certainly hope this isn't your experience OP and I wish you all the best of luck!

-Ham

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.