RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased 2011 supercharged l322, need to replace water pump and supercharger coupler, has 45k miles on it. Oil changed every 3-5 k miles by original owner. Can the supercharger coupler be replaced without pulling the supercharger? Any advice on which coupler to use,oem or green aftermarket? Any input greatly appreciated! Also any special needs on bleeding the cooling system? Thanks

·
LEGACY VENDOR
758 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, not really what I wanted to hear but........how much play is acceptable with the belt off and rocking the sc pulley back and forth? Any suggestions on the manufacturer of the aftermarket puck? Do you have any experience with the symposer system? Mine just has the tube with the green o ring sticking up at the back of the engine cover, seems something should be attached.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
758 Posts
I cant answer your question about the play unfortunately. The original coupler is not solid like the green replacement part so I imagine some play is acceptable but have no idea how much. Mine was making the clattering noise described in the link which is the reason I changed it.

If yours is noisy it means that there is too much play and needs changing. I doubt it will self destruct for many miles though so may not be necessary to change it until the clattering annoys you too much. I bought mine from this eBay store, https://www.ebay.com/usr/qualitysuperchargers?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754 and their service was excellent. I would suggest buying the oil as well and changing it whether it needs it or not.

My symposer works fine so did not pay much attention to it. Perhaps it is an optional extra and you do not have one installed.

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I have the 5.0 l322 s/c. What would be the procedure? Any links to anyone who has done this? Pictures? Mine isn't very noisy yet but if it's not too involved I might go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well have to take off all the air intake stuff to get access to the snout itself is only like 6 or 8 bolts ill have to look, but its all the stuff you need to remove thats a pia. If your mechanically inclined its really not that bad.upercharger snout,

·
Registered
99 Posts
Have you done this job on a 2010-2012 RR Supercharged? I want what you say to be true, as it cuts the labor time down considerably (and saves a few bucks on extra gaskets, coolant, etc). to not have to yank he entire SC off. However your statement seem to be in direct conflict with what another member stated (Ghur) in another post highlighting the procedure. His claim is that the entire SC must come off to get at all the snout bolts.
Again, I really want what you say to be TRUE.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
758 Posts
Thinking about what pavetim has said about removing the snout, it may be possible by removing everything that gets in the way but cant say so for sure and dont have my car nearby to have a look.

I just did what looked easier to me and also gave me the opportunity to inspect the internals of the supercharger and to have a good look at the inlet valves which have a tendency to carbon up on direct injection petrol motors although this motor is not known to suffer badly from this problem like some others. The SC oil change can then also be done while the unit is off.

I know its very easy to change the snout and oil in situ with the 4.2 SC motor but the 5.0 is a different beast. I will be interested to hear if anyone manages the coupler replacement without removing the SC.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know on the 5.0 you can remove just the snout. you have to pull the same stuff off if you take off the supercharger too. Try to avoid the supercharger cause you have to pull the intake manifolds too and the stuff behind the manifolds and supercharger is a major PIA. Snout itself isn't bad, i took mine off replaced the coupler and the bearings.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Unless you want to do the oil too, i heard you CAN do the oil with it on the motor on the 5.0 but the port is in the back and i wouldn't even want to try that project. I just changed my oil since SC was off anyways. Not sure if it's been done by previous owner but mine has 110,000 miles on it and the SC oil looked pretty new.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So you removed the snout and replaced the coupler and snout bearings and replaced the supercharger oil without removing the supercharger assembly? Did you have to remove the symposer system from the rear of the supercharger to reach the fill plug?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
758 Posts
I know on the 5.0 you can remove just the snout. you have to pull the same stuff off if you take off the supercharger too. Try to avoid the supercharger cause you have to pull the intake manifolds too and the stuff behind the manifolds and supercharger is a major PIA. Snout itself isn't bad, i took mine off replaced the coupler and the bearings.
Can you tell us what you pulled off to get to the snout bolts in order to remove it. I have just had a look at my partially stripped 5.0 liter SC Sport and wonder how to remove the coolant pipe in the attached photo.

I have not inspected an L322 5.0 liter SC setup so perhaps there are some differences to the Sport.

20180225_102335 (Medium).jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Man, I pulled all this stuff off to do the timing components so can't really tell you what you need to pull off for just the snout. I do know obviously all the air intake stuff, wiring connectors on the throttle body, throttle body (can lay this to the side cause it has a coolant hose with a crimp clamp, i recommend new gasket too), supercharger belt, I think the water pump (new gaskets needed). And the snout bolts, it may be kind of stuck if it has never been off before plus it has sealant. Be careful, remove what you need and it will come off. If your mechanically inclined the coupler is super easy and the snout bearings are easy too if you have a press. I bought original Eaton bearings off ebay for $60 for both. Once you get the air intake stuff off and water pump it's pretty easy to see what you need to remove. I will highly recommend you try, cause pulling the SC is a PIA cause you have to pull the intake manifolds too. The sport has the EXACT same motor, not the other stuff may be different like air intake and accessories, I can't really help you there I don't have the sport. But the actual engine is the same.

·
Registered
67 Posts
AHbt7. I had the supercharger off for the timing stuff so thats when i changed the oil. Honestly i don't see a way of changing the oil with the SC on the car. I read it can be done but man it's tight back there. Not sure what the symposer system is. And like i said i had to pull the SC off anyways, but all the reading, videos and pulling it off I can say you can pull the snout off without removing the SC (on the 5.0, not sure on the 4.2)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts