Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
One thing to consider is that 06-09 where much much slower with the 4.2.

A 06-09 supercharged is 390hp and a 10-13 HSE is 375hp.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
222 Posts
Got both, the SC will SMOKE the HSE regardless of any craptastic cosmic debris that can be glued, pluged or poured into the HSE. I like the HSE torque, but the SC is way faster.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
436 Posts
One would HOPE the supercharged is faster than the normally aspirated model.. There should be no question.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
14 Posts
I have an 06 S/C and 07 HSE. There is definitely more power and "buzz" as arby puts it, in the S/C. It could be just me but it is more fun driving the S/C as far as power and speed are concerned.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
It is. But really not as much as it could be.

It has about an extra 100 hp on the NA, but it is geared taller at the diffs. I'm sure there is some point where the gearing alone will allow the the NA to pull on the SC for a second.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,995 Posts
It is. But really not as much as it could be.

It has about an extra 100 hp on the NA, but it is geared taller at the diffs. I'm sure there is some point where the gearing alone will allow the the NA to pull on the SC for a second.
I read something here that the 2013 HSE's speed limiter has been disabled and can actually go up to 155mph? Is it true?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
I read something here that the 2013 HSE's speed limiter has been disabled and can actually go up to 155mph? Is it true?
Yep :)!!! I wound mine out a few months ago. I was over 155 as my speed alert came on and is set at 155 from factory. Not sure how much faster I was going but I had a nice downhill grade and a tailwind.

There was some talk that the SC has a speed limiter set but NA does not but until someone with a SC either puts their foot in it or let's me drive it we may never know.

·
Registered
458 Posts
This is my opinion in-summary

2006-2009 Rover Sport and FFRR
NA 4.4: Barely adequate power. It is quite a dog for today's standards. Passing is a chore as well as taking someone at a light for a quick lane change.
SC 4.2: 0-60 in a little over 7 seconds. Just adequate for today's standards. Fine for doing most things. Drinks gas badly- 12-14 MPGs overall. The SC compressor sounds awesome.
It passes from 50 to ??? pretty well.

2010-2013 Rover Sport
NA 5.0: 0-60 in around 7 seconds. If I lined up the 5.0L vs the 4.2L SC, I bet the 5.0L would take the SC. It's much better on gas as well. 18-20 Em Peh Gehs highway. (Ron Burgundy)
This NA 5.0L likes to rev to make good power. Sounds better naturally in the cabin. The engine is more fun overall. It likes to play and wind up.
SC 5.0: 0-60 in probably a bit less than 5 secs. Owning both, it makes it feel like your NA 5.0L is standing still. Crazy power at any speed for a car this size.
Huge torque/horsepower instantly. Also better on gas than the 4.2L SC, but still not good at all at like 16-17 Em Peh Gehs.
You can barely hear the supercharger, but it's a much higher pitch (higher spin speed?) than the 4.2L SC "Howler"

I am not trying to offend anyone with a 4.4, but that would be the absolute last engine I'd choose in the Rover Sport for daily driving. I had an LR3 loaner for a week and had to work that engine pretty hard to just drive it normally.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
A lot of what feels like slugishness in the 4.4 comes from the normal trans settings. Flip it into sport mode and it perks up. I don't like driving in sport mode because the throttle tip in is a bit sensitive.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
A lot of what feels like slugishness in the 4.4 comes from the normal trans settings. Flip it into sport mode and it perks up. I don't like driving in sport mode because the throttle tip in is a bit sensitive.
Are you sure it's not just you being sensitive?!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
222 Posts
Is that with a 4.2 SC?
In my research I have found with an upgraded pulley and ecu flash the s/c 460hp and 485 tq

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.