RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a 2005 4.2 supercharged that cranks but won't start (tries to fire very intermittently) and when I direct wire the fuel pump I can hear a whirring for about 1 or 2 seconds but then nothing so not sure if it's the pump giving up or not. I have a fuel pressure gauge but can't see where the valve is to connect it! :( Can someone please put me out of my misery. I have searched the internet and the manuals I have found but cannot find a schematic nor actual picture. It's very frustrating because until I check the pressure I can't move on to other checks. My thanks to all.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,145 Posts
There is no test connection on the 4.2L or 4.4L (Jag) fuel lines for getting fuel pressure. There is a fuel pressure sensor so you should be able to pull it up with and OBD2 scanner.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark ... I had some schematic pics in manuals that suggested different but my factual inspection agrees with your info! :) I solved it by cutting the supply pipe in the engine bay and fitting an inline adaptor that came with my pressure testing kit and it's worked fine. :) The bad news is it shows 50PSI, so no fault there :( That means I'm having to keep looking! My problem is non-starting. It tries to start with intermittent firing but doesn't want to keep firing and pick-up. Seemed like a fuel shortage but can't grumble at 50PSI. This is my first experience with a car with OBD2 codes and frankly I find them singularly unhelpful! The following faults are currently being reported ... U0300(55), U2023(86) and U0073(88) and the most I have been able to glean from them is "there is something wrong with your car" which is not very helpful! :mad: When I bought the car I was under the mistaken belief that the codes would tell me what is wrong! I have tried to seek help with the codes in this thread HERE but I wonder if everyone is as baffled by them as me!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Did somebody replace a control module in the truck, either before or after your got it? The U0300 is a misconfigured control module code, it has the wrong software in it. I don't know which one it is, the -55 would tell which module because I don't have a reference. The U2023 code usually comes from the transmission control module. No idea on the U0073 code, other than it an error code associated with missing modules on the "A" Canbus, or the bus is faulted and has been turned off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't replaced anything yet Mark except the battery ... can't say about the previous owner though.

According to one of my manuals the U0300/55 refers to "Internal control module software incompatibility ... ATCM (All Terrain Control Module) not configured ... Configure the module using the approved diagnostic system". What is an "approved diagnostic system" ... a dealer?!

As you say the U2023/86 seems to be reporting a communication problem with the TCM.

U0073/88 refers to the "Control Module Communication Bus "A" Off" and suggests "Check the control module installation/configuration. Refer to the lost communication statement at the start of the Network Communications section in the workshop manual".

I think my problem is I don't see how any of them should prevent the engine from starting! Although I have read that the L322 is very "interconnected". Is it so interconnected that something seemingly totally not related to the engine running could prevent it from running? Also it does try to start by firing on some of the cylinders but not sufficient to take it off the starter motor. Does that not suggest there is nothing preventing the engine from firing more that it doesn't fire.

Reactions: mylife1903

·
Registered
607 Posts
I haven't replaced anything yet Mark except the battery ... can't say about the previous owner though.

According to one of my manuals the U0300/55 refers to "Internal control module software incompatibility ... ATCM (All Terrain Control Module) not configured ... Configure the module using the approved diagnostic system". What is an "approved diagnostic system" ... a dealer?!

As you say the U2023/86 seems to be reporting a communication problem with the TCM.

U0073/88 refers to the "Control Module Communication Bus "A" Off" and suggests "Check the control module installation/configuration. Refer to the lost communication statement at the start of the Network Communications section in the workshop manual".

I think my problem is I don't see how any of them should prevent the engine from starting! Although I have read that the L322 is very "interconnected". Is it so interconnected that something seemingly totally not related to the engine running could prevent it from running? Also it does try to start by firing on some of the cylinders but not sufficient to take it off the starter motor. Does that not suggest there is nothing preventing the engine from firing more that it doesn't fire.
You can order a mongoose cable and download stealers system.
Maybe you have a software issue.
I saw a 4.4 engine tries work on 4.2 software.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can order a mongoose cable and download stealers system.
Maybe you have a software issue.
I saw a 4.4 engine tries work on 4.2 software.
Hi mylife ... thanks for the input but although I had never heard of a "mongoose cable" I now understand what it is with the help of Google but I haven't a clue what you mean by "stealers system", can't find a reference to anything through Google. And I'm not sure what your reference 4.4 and 4.2 means ... are you saying the software between them is interchangeable?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The all terain module is associated with the mode switch on the back of the console, anyone spill a cup of coffee, or soda onto the control knob? The approved diagnostic system for an 07 is Land Rover/Jaguars SDD program. Yes its a dealer program but there are people out there with copies of it.

Are you sure thats an U0300 code and not a U3000 code. There is a U3000/55 code associated with the ABS controller not being configured.

Are all of the lights around that control knob illuminated at the same time? Thats an indication of an issue with the terrain control module or a CAN bus issue with the control module. Either way if its an ABS or ATCM it should not prevent the vehicle from starting. The CAN bus issue may do that. You might want to try and just unplug the ATCM (or ABS controller) from the can bus and see if that does anything.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hi mylife ... thanks for the input but although I had never heard of a "mongoose cable" I now understand what it is with the help of Google but I haven't a clue what you mean by "stealers system", can't find a reference to anything through Google. And I'm not sure what your reference 4.4 and 4.2 means ... are you saying the software between them is interchangeable?
Stealer system is JLR Sdd software you can download it from torrent or after a google search
You need mongoose cable to connect your vehicle to the jlr software
4.4 and 4.2 are broter and sister from jaguar.

4.4 engine NA
4.2 engine SC

They are little bit different
4.4 has egr 4.2 not
4.4 has returning fuel system 4.2 not
And some little things

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The all terain module is associated with the mode switch on the back of the console, anyone spill a cup of coffee, or soda onto the control knob?
Sorry, have no idea Mark, I only purchased it recently so have no idea what went on before! :(
The approved diagnostic system for an 07 is Land Rover/Jaguars SDD program. Yes its a dealer program but there are people out there with copies of it.
Mine is listed in the V5 as 2005 but according to the LR website the VIN is for a 2006 model.. I have read that the 4.2 supercharged was officially launched for 2006 but some were sold in the second half of 2005.
Are you sure thats an U0300 code and not a U3000 code. There is a U3000/55 code associated with the ABS controller not being configured.
Very certain Mark (if I can believe the OBDII device which is a cheapie off eBay!), here's what my manual says for a U030055 ...

... and I get the following list of codes from the OBDII reader ...

Are all of the lights around that control knob illuminated at the same time? Thats an indication of an issue with the terrain control module or a CAN bus issue with the control module. Either way if its an ABS or ATCM it should not prevent the vehicle from starting. The CAN bus issue may do that. You might want to try and just unplug the ATCM (or ABS controller) from the can bus and see if that does anything.
All lights come on when the ignition is switched to position II but then it all looks normal after a few seconds when the 'checklist' has been completed. I don't even get a Check Engine warning, just the battery and oil lights.

Where do I find the ATCM/ABS controller and what does it look like ... remember I'm, a green newbie with Range Rovers

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Mylife so a mongoose cable, the software and a viewing device (laptop/tablet), yes. Is the software you are suggesting I find and download the same as they are selling on eBay for about £10? I may just go that route for ease ... it's only a couple of pints! :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The ATCM is on the bottom of the upper console plate, right below the big knob, the ABS controller is under the hood, probably on the right side of the engine compartment (you're in the UK I'm in the US) right infront of the brake booster. It's attached to the ABS valve asembly where all the brake lines come into.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hi Mylife so a mongoose cable, the software and a viewing device (laptop/tablet), yes. Is the software you are suggesting I find and download the same as they are selling on eBay for about £10? I may just go that route for ease ... it's only a couple of pints! :)
Yes, that is the best software you can find. I saw some new launch devices they are working very well on rovers but cheapest way is jlr sdd.
Dont biy the cheapest mongoose, search for 30-40$ on aliexpress.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts