RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have the familiar problem of the sunroof moving back and forwards but failing to lift and seal shut. Simple fix right? Wrong!

But before I get into that does anyone know how I can find how to bodge it so I can park the car in an outside car park for two weeks while I travel? I don't want to come back and find the whole car full of water :?. Back in 2012 someone posted that they had found a post about a temporary repair and told anyone wanting to find it that "
Search string rrtoadhall p38 sunroof "temporary repair" brings it up." Well I tried to find this but I think at some point the search function on the forum has been changed. Even in the search instructions it says there should be a field to select to either search ALL words or ANY words, but this useful device seems to have gone away.

I've tried everything I can think of and either get 20 pages of threads (each thread can be several pages) or nothing. Going through all those threads took some time but gave me no temporary repair. Perhaps earlier posts have been deleted to save space on the server?

Okay back to my original problem. I've taken out the headlining since it needs recovering anyway; opened the sunroof and removed the air deflector; closed the sunroof and tried to remove the four Torx bolts. One I managed to shift, one is stuck fast and won't move despite copious amounts of PB Blaster and the two rear ones you have to raise the sunroof to get at them.... sigh, if I could raise it I wouldn't have a problem. As I see it my options are:
  1. Drill through the plastic pieces that are shielding the rear bolts, then drill out the front stubborn torx bolt without breaking the glass.
  2. Remove the whole sunroof assembly out of the vehicle and see if I can get at things better that way.
  3. J
    ust duct-tape a vinyl banner over the whole sunroof and hope it keeps the rain out
Unfortunately with work commitments I don't have the time to do much this week before I leave, so unless someone has any bright ideas it's going to be option 3.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

PS: in case the system doesn't show it, 2002 Range Rover 4.6, 140K miles.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I should there a way to manually crank the sunroof closed using a torch wrench? If you do have to tape it. I would use visqueen and Tough Tape. It is like duct tape but better. A Home Depot should have it.

·
Administrator
27,798 Posts
manual cranking only works if all the parts are working. If his lift arms are broken then all the cranking you can muster will still not raise the panel.

When using the search function for a member's post you put their screen name in the member name field, choose the model forum and for search type "sunroof temporary repair". First hit has the temporary fix I used while waiting for new rails to arrive.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/11560-sunroof-problem-looking-temporary-remedy.html

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Not sure what a "torch" wrench is, but there is a manual mechanism in the sun roof that needs a key looking wrench. I have one for my '98 IIRC.
Have you tried Google to see if that brings up the repair?
Yes the search function here got kinda screwed up when the new folks took over, but as far as I know, everything is still there.
Tried the home pages under P38 repairs?
Let me go use my super moderator powers and see if I can find it.....ROFL

Martin

Never mind, Carl beat me to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link - gives me lots of fun things to try! And you are correct sir, manual cranking doesn't work when the lift arms are shot. If I can fix this, repair the blower motors and a few other minor details then I can look forward to many miles of trouble free motoring (joke).

·
Registered
417 Posts
The sunroof is an easy replace, 6 screws and unplug the motor. Drop the front of headliner to get access. Cover your dash for sure. Get a used one and at this time lube it up with silglyde and put it up and in. With the new lube it should last a long while.
Tip 1 remove glass and then lay glass in to reinstall, it is much lighter for 1 person
Tip 2 put the new window tint(3m) in blocks 90% of the suns heat. It will not be perfect because of the security wire in glass but your roof will loose 80% of heat genetated that will affect A/c ect. Good Luck

·
Administrator
27,798 Posts
Folks, the motor is not the issue, manually cranking is not needed... his LIFT BLOCKS are broken. It has nothing to do with anything else. He was needing to temporarily lift the glass panel into the closed position and secure it until parts can arrive. :roll:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought I should update everyone on how things worked out. I now have a sunroof that doesn't leak! Hurray.

I tried everything suggested (thank you, thank you, thank you) and in the end had to insert a flat head screwdriver in the gubbins just to the rear of the shark fin shaped plastic piece. I exerted some force upwards and SNAP, something broke (okay, I didn't say anyone should copy me did I?). I did the same to the other side and lo and behold I could push the rear of the sunroof up. Then I put small blocks of wood on either side to stop the sunroof sinking back down too far, some black duct tape to hold everything in place and voila, a non-leaking sunroof. I unplugged the sunroof motor - that big button between the front window winders is just too tempting, and for now that will have to do. I can now get at all four of the torx screws and managed to free the one at the front that was well and truly stuck. I just went up a size in torx bits, hit the bit with a hammer to lodge it in there and then used vise grip pliers to give some leverage on the torx screwdriver + more PB Blaster.

I now have the plastic 3D printed pieces to repair the sunroof when I have time, but I suspect I will need more pieces so will wait until I have a spare long weekend. Maybe I should write a book - "How NOT to Repair a Range Rover"?

On to the next job, you can never say you're bored with one of these cars to look after.

·
Administrator
27,798 Posts
A nonleaking sunroof was your goal. No matter how you accomplished it you go it done. On the plus side, it may be temp bodge job.... but it doesn't LOOK like a bodge job. :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
2,061 Posts
I now have the plastic 3D printed pieces to repair the sunroof when I have time
I tried one of those sets and they aren't brilliant. Be prepared to do a lot of fettling with a fine file to get everything moving smoothly. After spending almost two full days at it, I just got a complete replacement sunroof cassette and swapped the lot. It also encouraged me to replace the headlining trim while it was out. Even taking the whole lot out, replacing the headlining and sunroof cassette and putting it all back together took less time than I'd spent on the 3D printed plastic parts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts