RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 89 RRC has a strange sunroof problem. If I roll it all the way back holding the button, all is good.

When I try to close it, the sunroof gets within about 2 inches of closing, and then stops. When I then press the button again, it closes to about 1 inch of being shut and stops.

If I hold the button forward a third time, the sunroof moves right through the closed position, and into the 'tilt' mode. In order to get the thing closed properly, I have to stand on the sill, so I can see the top of the RR, and move the button back and to, to get the right position for the sunroof to be closed.

Are the 2 positions that the sunroof stops at adjustable? I'm going off the assumption that I just need to adjust the position at which the sunroof comes to a stop.

Thanks,
James

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
84 Posts
For the visually impaired or those that fail to read the entire posting.
The following is for steel panel sunroof vehicles only.

Perhaps your micro switch has failed. You can easily verify this by using a multi-meter.
Attach your meter leads to the the micro switch and toggle the switch. The switch has the following terminals, COM (#1 common), NO (#2 normally open), NC ( #3 normally closed).

In the following pics, notice the cam wheel is not pressing the micro switch.
These pics represent the sunroof rest (closed) position.
This was my original motor that I replaced awhile back, my issue was a faulty ground wire in my sunroof main switch harness.

The 1st pic shows a single red line, this is an alignment mark.
The 2nd pic shows a red V mark, this is a notch for the cam wheel pointer (ahead of the cam wheel hole).
Also in the 2nd pic is another red mark showing that the cam wheel is not touching the micro switch.
Barely visible in the 2nd pic of the cam wheel, is this alignment reference mark [? . This is just a reminder to anyone servicing the sunroof motor.

You can verify the cam wheels alignment easily by just removing the sunroof switch/dome light panel.
Then remove the sunroof motor without dropping the headliner (3 screws).
Disconnect all electrical plugs and relay bolt if you want to pull the motor and take it to a bench to test.
Otherwise leave the electric plugs and bolt alone, this can be serviced in the vehicle (not very comfortably).

Now at this point make sure the sunroof panel is properly closed, and then align the sunroof motor shown as in my pics. Use your Allen hex key to turn the motor or suitable socket.
Reverse the steps above and try the sunroof switch and see if it works. If not you'll need to trouble shoot the switch or the relay.

Best of luck!
8-|=

·
Registered
150 Posts
Eric, thank you for this post. For all of us that can't read but, are visual.

I have a somewhat similar problem that this will help me with.

Thanks Again
Parker 1993 LWB Plymouth Blue

1 - 4 of 4 Posts