RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have researched and found pictures of: the sunroof drainage tubings (visible along roof when headliner's removed) & the location of the front drains below the "A" posts but haven't located any pictures of where the rear drain tubes connect to the one-way balck plactic fire hydrant looking nipples and exit the underneath of the vehicle after running down the "C" posts. Additionally, I have looked all underneath the vehicle trying to locate all four of them (front x2 & rear x2) to no avail. In order to make them visible is removal of the fender wells necessary? If anyone has pictures of where the one-way ends can be seen while still inserted on the vehicle and don't mind including them, I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Dean

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Hi Dean,

The front drain tubes can just bee seen/reached if you open the front doors up. You can see the one way valve part in by where the door hinge is. The official way of getting to them is to take the wheel arch linings out, to gain access.

The rear ones come down on the pillars just behind the rear seats, and poke through a hole in the bodywork. You can't easily (if at all depending on the state of mud etc under the car!) see the rear ones externally, without taking the wheel arch liner out. You can access the rear ones by removing the trim by the rear windows (in the loadspace area). you will see the clear tube running down, and then you can reach under the metal bracket for the rear seat latch, and pull the drain valve out from inside. A word of warning though... they are a pain to put back in, especially if you have big hands - access is tight, and they have a lip on the rubber to seat and seal it from the outside of the vehicle - and I found these a right bugger to put back in properly.

On one of my old P38's, I actually took them out and replaced them with some radiator tubing that wedged into the hole, and then have the drain tube flow into it... it meant no one way valve anymore, but I figured with enough water running down them, it would keep any blockages to a minimum - and the original NRV's didn't seem muddy or clogged externally, so don't think they will clog from the outside (mine worked fine for the 9 months I had the vehicle!)

Hope this helps... I'll probably be working on the RR tomorrow, so can snap a couple of pictures of them if you want some still.

Regards,
Martin

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
A hot 50/50 ammonia mix does wonders for cleaning out those little buggers. On more than a few cars I have cut the tips off of the drain tips due to dust and road grime turning to concrete on those darn thigns. Same for the A/C drains.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Mmm, I have also cut the tips off them before - I think I swapped out to the radiator hosing on one of them because I just happened to have the right size lying around... I'll give the 50/50 mix a go at some point on mine... What's the best way of running it through the A/C evap drains? I would presume some form of dash dismantling to get to them?

Marty

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much Martin and ple-e-e-a-a-a-s-s-s-e-e-e send me some pics if you are able to do so tomorrow. I just got home from work and will first search for them as I have dedicated as many days as it takes to conquering the numerous projects I have to get Rover back to as top shape as a 15 y/o can be. As mentioned I have several other items I need to attend to on him and will upload posts when I get to the point of tackling them one by one as I have found that if I don't focus on only on at a time, I find myself getting lost in the midst of them I get none completed! Thanks again, Dean

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I will try the mixture and HOPE it will be strong enough to free-up the grim and come out the one-ways which will assist me in locating them.
Thanks again,
Dean

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Sorry for not having pics for you so far! I've been meaning to do it, but been trying to figure out a throttle response problem I have, and had a mate look at it, so clean forgot! Also been doing a lot of restoration work on a sunroof, since mine's buggered, but that's all been inside in the warm! I will make an effort to snap some pictures tomorrow for you... I haven't forgotten!

Marty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Some pictures as promised...

Location shot:
IMAG0211.jpg

You can just see the clear tube at the bottom of the pillar trim.

Top down view:
IMAG0209.jpg
The black part is the non return valve

View from under the metal bodywork:
IMAG0210.jpg
here you can see how the NRV sits (there's a rib on the other side of the chassis which is what holds them in, and makes them a PITA to get back in after removal!!!

And here's a couple of the front ones... first one is location show, and second one is close up of the drain. As you can see, the NRV on mine has already gone walkies - but I'm not losing sleep over it!

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0214.jpg

Hope this helps... these were both taken on the right hand side of vehicle. It's pretty much identical on the left though.

Cheers,
Martin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts