RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

This is my very first post on this forum, so apologies if I make any newbie mistakes. Anyway, here is my question:

My 02 P38 is having a sunroof problem. I know that the rails are bad (sunroof slides fine, but doesn't lift up at the end to seal the sunroof shut), but it costs a fortune to replace the rails so I was wondering if there is a temporary remedy to completely close the sunroof. I don't need to use the sunroof, so I'll be happy if I can just close the thing shut for now.

At this moment, the back end of the sunroof is always open so the wind noise at speed is annoying, and am constantly on the lookout for suspect clouds for potential thunderstorms.

Any assistance with this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Remove the glass as per driections in RAVE. You will then be able to pull the rear slide the extra couple inches forward as if it were raising the glass. Reinstall the glass and disconnect the motor. Mine has been running around this way for about 2 months now without any slippage. Disconnecting the motor is a safety to make sure nobody leans on the switch by accident.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello:

Thanks for the tip!

I'll look it up, and try to do the repair.

Again, thanks for the info and I'll keep you posted on how things go.

Regards,

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have had this problem on several cars. I just broke into my 96 4.0 via the moonroof after locking my keys in & I didn't have to remove the glass to slide those "hinges forward to get it closed properly after the fact. You do have to pull the plastic guide covers off to reach them, tho.

I was able to do mine with my fingers but in the past have used a flat-head screwdriver.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello:

I've read up on the RAVE and attempted to do the repair but didn't go too far. Here's what happened:

One of the first step involved is to remove the thin piece of plastic strips covering the rails. In order to remove this piece of plastic strip, the sunroof needs to be tilted up, apparently. However, in my case I can't tilt the sunroof.

I've attempted to remove this plastic part by pulling on it, but it's pretty well secured and the plastic strip looks very flimsy. Before I go any further, I wanted to get some wisdom from this forum.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had the same problem last winter when the clips on the rails snapped during a cold spell. The plastic strips are wind guards, I cut them off with
tin snips so i could get at the glass bolts, removed the glass then did as rrtoadhall suggested. It worked fine for three weeks until I had my new sunroof put in. You can buy the windguards after fairly cheap.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good stuff...

... had the right side slide pop on me this morning.

Was able to follow the thread to get the glass back to the closed position. The right side plastic "shield/cover/trim" was sacrificed since I could not get an angle to slide it backward.

Now I have to dig through the seat cushions for $200 worth of change to pay for a new slide.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
231 Posts
TheoR said:
Hello:
My 02 P38 is having a sunroof problem. I know that the rails are bad (sunroof slides fine, but doesn't lift up at the end to seal the sunroof shut), but it costs a fortune to replace the rails so I was wondering if there is a temporary remedy to completely close the sunroof. I don't need to use the sunroof, so I'll be happy if I can just close the thing shut for now.
You could also remove the interior light fitting in front of the sunroof which just unclips from the roof. You will then see the motor etc. Using the tool in you owners kit you can manually wind this shut. In case you dont have the 'tool' you can carefully make to with a largish flat blade screwdriver if you are careful.

You should be able to close this shut...just remember to disconnect the means to operate the switch accidently. Prob easiest is to remove from the rear of the console.

hth

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
rrdude said:
You should be able to close this shut...just remember to disconnect the means to operate the switch accidently. Prob easiest is to remove from the rear of the console.

hth
If you disconnect at the console (switch pack) you would also be disconnecting your windows and mirrors. If you do use the manual closing method, you can simply disconnect your motor right there and use a needle nose plier to reconnect when needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts