RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my sunroof is not opening anymore. Can any one help trouble shoot this for a home fix or is this something I need a mechanic to take care of?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Does it move a inch and you hear a click, if so there's a plastic piece front right that snaps.
If not could be other issue like motor or fuse or one I doubt switch pack

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
medcapequip said:
Hey guys my sunroof is not opening anymore. Can any one help trouble shoot this for a home fix or is this something I need a mechanic to take care of?

Thank you.
Apologies, but you simply haven't provided enough info fo us to be able to help you out. :think: What does it and what does it not do? Are you talking vent position or slide position? What have you done so far?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, nothing happens when I push the open or close button. No clicks no sounds except for the cluster display saying that the sunroof has not been set. I tried holding the open button for several seconds and the close button for several seconds and still nothing.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Check the manual to find the correct fuses then check those, next step I would take is to check the switch pack (sunroof switch) if that is all ok then I must be the motor if you say you hear nothing moving or buzzing. It could also be a broken wire so check all the wiring and connections clean the connections with contact cleaner and some sand paper

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
320 Posts
Mine doesn't even give a hint in the binnacle display. I long suspected the switch pack. I hoped there would be a troubleshoot procedure in the ETM but I didn't see it. I wonder for instance if it's possible to directly put voltage on the motor, thereby ruling out any problems in the wiring or the switch pack.

On mine the switchpack is the primary suspect. Anybody know why /how switchpack breaks? There simply aren't enough wires from the switch pack to the BeCM for each switch to operate directly. It must have some logic to translate switch settings in a (serial? heaxdecimal?) protocol to communicate to the BeCM. Since every other thing on my switch pack continues to operate flawlessly, the logic can't be broken, it can only be a problem with the central sun roof switch. I took it apart as far as I could get it apart, but couldn't fix it / find a problem with that switch.

Maybe I should try again. Sorry to hijack the thread, back to medcapequip.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
BargePilot said:
Mine doesn't even give a hint in the binnacle display. I long suspected the switch pack. I hoped there would be a troubleshoot procedure in the ETM but I didn't see it. I wonder for instance if it's possible to directly put voltage on the motor, thereby ruling out any problems in the wiring or the switch pack.

On mine the switchpack is the primary suspect. Anybody know why /how switchpack breaks? There simply aren't enough wires from the switch pack to the BeCM for each switch to operate directly. It must have some logic to translate switch settings in a (serial? heaxdecimal?) protocol to communicate to the BeCM. Since every other thing on my switch pack continues to operate flawlessly, the logic can't be broken, it can only be a problem with the central sun roof switch. I took it apart as far as I could get it apart, but couldn't fix it / find a problem with that switch.

Maybe I should try again. Sorry to hijack the thread, back to medcapequip.
The best thing you could do for your switch pack is to clean it. The wonderful placement of the switch pack downstream from sodas and coffees puts it in a unique position to gum up and or short things out. The board is easily removed from the switch pack. A few sprays with MAF cleaner has done wonders on more than a few that I have saved from the scrap bin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts