RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being parked outside for a couple of days in the rain, my 2005 RR 4.4 wouldn't start today. The speakers were making a low pitched hum and thumping sound with the ignition off. Using a hose to check I found that the sunroof is leaking, and when the truck is sitting with the rear lower than the front, it runs back and down the D-pillars and into the electronics on both sides. At some point there was enough moisture to kick on the subwoofer amp and it killed the battery.

I have looked around for the exit locations for the sunroof drains to blow them out but I did not see them. I found several posts where the drains were referenced but not where they are physically located. If anyone has experience with cleaning these drains I would certainly appreciate some insight on how you did it. Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thought I would follow up on this in case anyone else runs into it. The drains are as follows:
Front left - aft of the wheel well, it is a little rubber nipple parallel to the ground sticking out of the body frame structure facing away from the centerline of the vehicle. Find this one first so you'll know what it looks like.
Front right - same place, but you have to remove the safety shield and disconnect a wiring harness that is in the way to access it.
Rears - both rears are in the leading side of the wheel wells, under the plastic well liner. You can remove the plastic rivets that hold the front edge of the well liner and get your arm in to reach them.

To blow them out I used a piece of rubber hose, just small enough to fit inside the nipple.

The bad news, there was no blockage. Removal of the headliner revealed both rear drains had detached from the sunroof frame. The stereo still has a slight crackle from the water damage and the bluetooth no longer works...could have been much worse though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My dealer replaced my sunroof under warranty and failed to connect one of the rear drains. I park on my driveway with the front end higher than the back and water ran down the D pillars and got my NAV CD player wet. I removed it and put it in my oven at <150F for 30 min and everything works again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How did you go about removing the headliner? Was it a lengthy process?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,952 Posts
FWIW if you use compressed air to blow the drain hoses out,
you can blow the lines off the connection thus you will have leaks,
so instead use a weed wacker line

1 - 5 of 5 Posts