RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first post so be gentle with me..I have just bought a 1998 4.6 HSE but the sunroof doesn't work at all. It doesn't come up with any warnings ie "sunroof not set" . I purchased a second hand working switch pack and that hasn't made a difference either. I am just wondering what to test or replace next...should I replace the whole cassette of is there a relay or similar that might have been removed or is faulty...any help is appreciated...ps I've checked the motor and it's All wired up ...I'm lost as to what to try next ?? Help please...best wishes Dave

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If it doesn't work and isn't giving any not set message, it packed up so someone has gone into the BeCM settings and have programmed it to say there isn't a sunroof fitted. You need diagnostics to read the settings to check but it's a common way of getting rid of the warnings if it stops working. Either that or it was set and hasn't worked since. Easiest way to check that is to disconect the battery. When you reconnect, the dash will tell you all of the windows and sunroof aren't set. If it only tells you about the windows, it doesn't know the sunroof is there.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You do know how to set the windows again don't you? If they aren't set, all you need do is wind the window all the way to the bottom, hold the switch for a second, then all the way to the top and hold again. The dash will beep and say window set. Then do the next one.....

·
Registered
838 Posts
Have you checked the cable supplying power to the sunroof motor behind the vanity lights?

Very possible that the PO removed the power cable, having some sort of an issue with the sunroof. If you find the cable disconnected and operate the sunroof after reconnecting the wire, chances are pretty great that you will encounter some kind of an issue with the sunroof.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My sunroof didn't work and I ticked the box in the BECM and now it works. So before chasing cables etc I wd perform that one quick check, PO may just have hated the sun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies that's been really helpful...I think this will a labour of love as I'm fixing things as I go along...for some reason the trip computer doesn't work either...I've got a new stalk but that might have been omitted too maybe...🤔🤔 Any more advice is also appreciated cheers..best wishes Dave

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My ex-police P38 didn't have the buttons on the stalk when I got it (obviously something Greater Manchester Police didn't consider necessary) but I changed the stalk and the trip computer still didn't work. Or at least it didn't until it was changed from Trip Computer Disabled to Trip Computer Enabled in the BeCM settings. Then it showed the average speed and MPG for the entire 204,000 miles of it's life until it was reset.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If I remember right it was something like 28 MPH and 8 point something MPG. When it wasn't patrolling the M6 (or dragging dead artics off the road), I suspect it spent a lot of time hanging around idling.

Then

Now

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Not bad for 384,000 miles is it? Gets driven all around Europe on a regular basis (often towing a trailer) and is going to Moscow and back in Spring next year. I'm trying to get it up to 400k.

·
Registered
365 Posts
As stated try to bring down the vanity(middle lights) and the connector is there. It may be unplugged because of a break in the parts. Before plugging it in or as an option try to find your sunroof tool so you can slowly turn it by hand to see where the problem lurks. I put a whole cassette the first time but since learned how to dissasemble on the car to replace parts.
Good Luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts