RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I've recently purchased an 05 HSE and this forum has been really helpful!

I've searched and read many threads on this sunroof problem which all of them said the same thing about resetting the sunroof.
It was working fine till last night when I pushed open button then it stopped about 1-2 seconds in and now the sunroof is stuck opened with the back end of the glass slightly pushed down.

I've tried holding the tilt for 20-30 seconds and I do not hear the sunroof reset. When I push the button to express close, I will hear a click and that's it. During this reset process, I do have the engine running and doors closed.
I've also checked the fuse and it's fine.

Please help this Range Rover newbie, thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you tried this method?

Switch the ignition on.

With the sunroof closed, press and release the front of the switch. The sunroof will move to the tilted position.

Press the front of the sunroof switch and hold for 20 seconds.

After 20 seconds, the sunroof will begin to move. Keep the front of the switch pressed until the fully open/close cycle has completed.

Once the sunroof has stopped moving, release the switch.

Note ignition on but not running.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
The engine not running may not make any difference but worth a try.
Also try keeping the button pressed for longer.. Some reports say 30-40 seconds.
Mine did this a few weeks back and the rest procedure fixed it. I notice increased wind noise on the motorway and then noticed the sunroof had dropped at the back.
May be worth disconnecting the battery for a while before trying the reset procedure again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I've held the button down for up to 40+ seconds and somewhere around 20 seconds I hear a click, but no movement or sound of motor. Here is a photo of where it's stuck and I can't even move it back to the closed position. I currently have the battery disconnected and will try again after I connect the battery back.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
It may be more work than you're interested in doing but you should be able to access the sunroof motor from the interior roof console. If you disconnect the motor from the sunroof you should be able to manually close it.

This will tell you immediately a couple things:

If the track is malfunctioning.
If the motor is malfunctioning.

Either one is replaceable. Rave for your model will have the details on the motor and track assembly. Rave and thw workshop manual are available in a pinned post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update after leaving it for a while since I've been caught up with work. I turned the car on a few days ago to keep the battery tender and pushed the close button for the sunroof, but it ended up opening more by half an inch then stuck again.

Thanks datafoo, I'll give that a try. How do I manually close it? Just push the sunroof itself? If the sunroof does close manually then it's the motor?

I've tried disconnecting the battery @Kieranahall, but it did not work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts