RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed over the past few weeks that my sunroof isn't closing to the correct position with the back end sitting 4-5mm lower than the roof line but a manual push from inside stopped any excessive wind noise. I asked my local dealer who said that there is a small adjustment that can be made to the alignment of the roof which involves lossening three screws. I was already aware of this having done a brief forum search here but yesterday decided to search further into the archives!

My reason for this post is that I eventually came across a message that offered an alternative solution. It appears that if your battery is disconnected for any reason this can cause the sunroof to get slightly confused leading to this alignment issue, this was the case for me as I had a new battery fitted recently!

To reset the system you need to tilt the roof and keep hold of the button for approximately 30 seconds until the roof motor clicks or moves slightly, then completely open the roof and then press the button once to close it - this should do the trick and it certainly worked for me!

I know adjusting the screws can also work but why bother with that when this works and I would certainly recommend trying it before opening your tool box!

I apologise for not remembering the name of the person who originally posted this information but I thought it was important enough to bump it up the forum - John / Moderators - would it also be possible for you to include this fix in the the repairs section?

Many Thanks to the forum for again saving me some cash! I would go and advice the dealer of this simple solution but I doubt they would bother to listen!

Andy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yep - this is a good trick.

I noticed more wind noise coming from my sunroof and noticed from outside, the roof wasn't closing 'up' as far as it should to be flush with the roofline. I held the sunroof button in and it reset. All is well now.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Awesome, it worked. I can knock that item off of my ToDo List on the Rover. I was ready to start turnning screws and adjusting the sunroof manually. I had no idea that an auto adjustment was built in. I did not even think to search for one.

·
Registered
407 Posts
it worked for me as well, but now after the dealer checked the sunroof for a leak it wont shut. it goes to about 1inch closed then opens back. Is there a different way to reset it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks, this was very helpful. I had this problem and tried to get the dealer to resolve.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Same issue with BMW's as they use the same sunroof electronics, with the same fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased my Range a few weeks ago. I had noticed high wind noise. When I washed my car yesterday, I realized why. The sunroof wasn't closing all the way. Needless to say I was pissed that I didn't notice this prior to delivery and that confirmation of all the Range Rover horror stories was about to start coming true for me.

Well, then as I was waking I heard the sound of heavy rain and I was like oh no! I quickly grabbed my iPad and got to googling. The second search result was your post. I jumped up, did the adjustment procedure and it worked exactly as you detailed.

Thank you! You saved me from writing a few angry letters! `)

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's pathetic that Forums know more than professional Range Rover mechanics.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Something to remember is that msot dealerships no longer have mechanics on duty. They have trained monkeys that follow a flow chart tht tells what part to replace. The art of diagnostics pairs with common sense is long dead at dealerships of all makes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Something to remember is that msot dealerships no longer have mechanics on duty. They have trained monkeys that follow a flow chart tht tells what part to replace. The art of diagnostics pairs with common sense is long dead at dealerships of all makes.
Let's hope the medical and other professions don't follow suit.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
23 Posts
Noticed this issue yesterday - cheapest fix on the new RR so far... thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4 Posts
Thx for the fix.
I have been manually adjusting it to level out.
Now I have to clean the drain tubes because obviously the junk from driving while not level has clogged them. Noticed a leak in the rear for the first time the other day.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks a lot, I noticed the problem today, I searched this forum and I quickly found the solution. Here in Italy, if I had turned to a dealer, I found so much incompetence and I would definitely have to pay a lot, thanks again!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Well this is awkward...

Mine was working fine, except for what seemed to me to be being a little off in the closed position, so I tried this:
Open to tilt position, keeping the button depressed until an audible "click" (in about 15 seconds in my case).

Open with single press of the switch.

Close with a single press.

The problem is that now my sunroof will not close, but gets close to closing, then goes to a fully open position like it' s hitting an obstruction (but it isn't, I checked).

To close it, I have to go to tilt, then close, and even then, it's a little above flush, more than it was before.

I've tried it several times, same result.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Mine did this a couple times, each time it seemed like it was getting "stuck", I removed the sunroof glass (to make it easier to really reach everything that is in there), cleaned and lubricated the tracks/moving parts, then re-assembled, and it was fine again for a couple years. Also a good idea to check the drains while you are in there... could save some grief.

Also there are some little tabs in there which hold then glass on the track.. if those break they can bind and cause this to happen as well but usually you can tell when that has happened because it makes horrible grinding/cracking noises (had that happen too once). The little tabs can be purchased for a few dollars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for posting this fix for my leakng sunroof on my rr sport i just purchased, as i have been in tears, with purchase regrets, and stressed out!!! I just went outside and tried this fix, and before i could see the gap where water was coming through with sunlight shining through, but now i see no gap. We will have heavy rain tomorrow, so i will know if the problem is resolved. Thanks you so much!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts