RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,
This is from the truly nitpicking category of questions.

I've got a 2006 L322. The sunglasses holder isn't reliably closing on mine. It's infuriating (well, okay, I suppose it's a first world problem) to put my sunglasses away because I have to keep fussing with it until it closes.

I'm trying to figure out if this is possible for me to fix rather than spending forty buck to just buy one off ebay.

Can someone (with a working holder) take a look at their's? The latching mechanism appears to be a little bow-tie shaped widget on the left side of the holder (maybe 3/8" long). You can see it easily enough with a flashlight. I've got that. What I'm wondering is whether I'm really supposed to also have a little spring in there to give the latch a push in the right direction as the holder is closed.

Could someone take a picture if there's something like that in a working one?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2006 has the same issue. I look forward to any help.
I fixed it. The 'bowtie' piece seems to have two orientations. (One for open, another for closed). Somehow it got off track. What I found worked, was pushing clockwise the bowtie while closing the sunglass case. It bent the plastic a little as I forced it back into the track that's built into the holder door. Then it all snapped back together once it was right. Now it opens and latches closed reliably.

I recognize this description is more than a little unsatisfying -- if just playing with it doesn't solve the problem, I think the smartest thing would be to remove the case (there's videos on youtube, it doesn't look difficult) and manipulate it until fixed where you can see all the pieces clearly. You probably don't need a new one.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
6 Posts
Today, this happened to me. I searched and searched for a fix and stumbled upon your post. It worked, but I had to hold the bowtie thing in the open position and close it very quickly, while removing my finger. At first, I wasn't doing it quick enough and it didn't work. With it closed now, I don't think I'll be opening :)

I fixed it. The 'bowtie' piece seems to have two orientations. (One for open, another for closed). Somehow it got off track. What I found worked, was pushing clockwise the bowtie while closing the sunglass case. It bent the plastic a little as I forced it back into the track that's built into the holder door. Then it all snapped back together once it was right. Now it opens and latches closed reliably.

I recognize this description is more than a little unsatisfying -- if just playing with it doesn't solve the problem, I think the smartest thing would be to remove the case (there's videos on youtube, it doesn't look difficult) and manipulate it until fixed where you can see all the pieces clearly. You probably don't need a new one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts