RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple new pictures before the 4th - more to come soon.

Put up a new roof rack a few weeks ago and tested it all out on a trip up to New Jersey for the summer holidays. I had the factory crossbars in the garage for years and finally decided to do something with them. I made a psuedo-custom rack out of the OEM sport bars and a Surco urban rack. It is fairly easy to take on and off as needed with 1 or 2 people. So far it has worked out great. There is hardly any noise, even at highway speed. I put a set of 4 Hella FF75 lights on the front. They aren't wired yet as I am still trying to figure out how I am going to set it up.

I have a spare BFG tire on order and a set of ROTOPAX fuel canisters (rotopax.com). I am going to mount the tire on top of the rack as well as the fuel containers. I have an additional light bracket in the rear that I am considering placing a rear flood light on.

I'll upload new pictures once I get everything else situated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

I'm thinking on put some spotlights on the roof and pick up the power from the fog light instalation on the front, this way I will use the same button in the interior and give the Range a clean look :) (probably I will modify the button a little and add a "ROOF" Lettering on it)

Regards,

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looks great. Did you paint your bumpers and grille with a spray can, or have them professionally done with the body color? What size are your tires?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can see detailed info on most of the mods in the thread:

"New and Improved 2002 Range Rover 4.6 HSE (56k Beware)"

Yes, all of the body paint (bumpers, grill, trim pieces) were painted professionally. However, I am going to have to respray the bumpers in the near future.

Tires are BFG Mud Terrain KM2 in 255/70/16 with 25mm spacers.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
tjh2dUVA said:
You can see detailed info on most of the mods in the thread:

"New and Improved 2002 Range Rover 4.6 HSE (56k Beware)"

Yes, all of the body paint (bumpers, grill, trim pieces) were painted professionally. However, I am going to have to respray the bumpers in the near future.

Tires are BFG Mud Terrain KM2 in 255/70/16 with 25mm spacers.
Do you really think the spacers give you more stability?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Okay so I decided to bump this thread instead of starting a new one. First how did you fit the rack to your roof? Second I'm looking at this rack.

http://www.surcoinc.com/R-BR_SR5.html

Does anyone know if I need the roof bar to attach this or can I use the gutter system? I currently have nothing so I'm trying to decide what I need to install it. Sorry for all the questions but I'm clueless when it comes to roof racks and I haven't found a definitive answer online.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
RoverRebel said:

Does anyone know if I need the roof bar to attach this or can I use the gutter system? I currently have nothing so I'm trying to decide what I need to install it. Sorry for all the questions but I'm clueless when it comes to roof racks and I haven't found a definitive answer online.
"Fits any factory rack" in other words you need a factory rack to put it on. If you don't have a factory rack you will need to get a factory roof rack, factory sport bar system or similar system to mount it.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
RoverRebel said:
Okay so I decided to bump this thread instead of starting a new one. First how did you fit the rack to your roof?
His is not a roof rack, it is an aftermarket backet fitted to sport bars. You can see my Thule 600 series system in my posts... as soon as I go find one of the links. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
77 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
RoverRebel said:

"Fits any factory rack" in other words you need a factory rack to put it on. If you don't have a factory rack you will need to get a factory roof rack, factory sport bar system or similar system to mount it.
Yeah I saw the "fits any factory rack" but I also saw a set up that appeared to fit into the factory rail holes and didn't use a rail system. I was wondering if anyone had done that.

I really like your set up. Do you know if I can use the factory cross bars instead of the rails? I can find the cross bars easily but I cant seem to find the rails.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
I think we may have a difference of terms going on here.

Let Dr Toad describe. 8-|=

To me the rails are the factory front to back bars on each side of the rig. These are latched into the three sets of roof gutter mounts. There is nothing on the market that will mount to these front to rear rails.

On to the factory rails there are cross bars that mount to make up the factory roof rack system. Depending on your model and optioning you would have either two or four cross bars. Naturally four cross bars allows for greater weight distribution on the factory roof rack over only two cross bars.

If you did not have the factory roof rack you had the option to purchase sport bars that mounted into two of the three sets of roof gutter mounts.

The Thule 600 will easily mount to the factory roof rack as the cross bars are adjustable. It SHOULD mount to the sport bar system with the Thule clamps provided. THis would depend on where the sport bars land under the Thule basket. The same would apply to the basket you are looking at. Sport bars are not adjustable front to rear, they are stationary in the gutter mounts. SO if whatever basket you are looking at needs the mounts to be 30" apart for proper mounting and if the sport bars were 32" apart you might have issues.

Clear as mud? :?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Looks great, I would like to put some nice all terrain tires on my 01 but I don't take it off road much. I just need some trails to take it on.

Anyone in the West LA area recommend and 4x4 trails to have some fun with the P38?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I also like the architecture of the homes in the background. What address is that? I would like to build something like that here in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
269 Posts
if you decide you want a surco i have a basket i no longer use, and crossbars if you are interested...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts