RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sulphur Like smell in cabin during moderate to heavy accel (2007 supercharged)

I have sifted through some of the other posts and kind of have an idea of what may be the cause but I'd still like to hear some opinions.
Currently my 07 supercharged sport has a sulphur (rotten egg) like smell in the cabin during acceleration (moderate to heavy, always up hill). From what Ive read it sounds like it could be the catalytic convertor? My truck has 95000 km. Given this is the situation would you recommend going to a regular muffler exhaust shop or taking it to a RR specialty place?

Second I also have read something on this smell being caused by the battery. I am experiencing in the morning when i start up the truck a squealing sound from one of the belts, if increases with accel but goes away completely after 20 mins. I had the belt and tensioner pulley replaced a month and a half ago. Could this and the sulphur smell have some to due with my battery, possibly the alternator trying to compensate for the battery causing the belt to slip? (am i way off base?)

Anyways some more concise insight would be great?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Re: Sulphur Like smell in cabin during moderate to heavy accel (2007 supercharged)

For it to be from the exhaust, you would most likely have a check engine light as the cats are monitored pretty well, or just some bad gas in the tank. I have seen this more often turn out to be the battery, both it failing, or the alternator failing and overcharging.

Step one is to look at the battery and see if it has leaked any acid, if so, replace it and have the charging system checked. I wouldn't concern yourself with the belt noise at this point, there is a known issue with them causing a chirp at cold start, and an updated style pulley to fix it when it is time to change the belts.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Re: Sulphur Like smell in cabin during moderate to heavy accel (2007 supercharged)

Mexican food?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts