RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been made aware of a set of 18" Mondial RR rims locally, i've been keeping an eye open for a set for ages. They are a reasonable price and I'm quite keen to get them and refurb them. However, i've had a quick look for tyres and there seems to be a massive amount of choice. They seem to be very expensive.

It's all a little confusing to be honest as i've never looked at anything other than 16" rims. This is the first vehicle i've had with alloy wheels on it!!

Does anyone have recommendations as to 18" tyres, but that are available at a half decent price?! I am assuming that 255/85/18 is the factory size? Can any other sizes be fitted?

I will be keeping the 245/70/16 BFG ats for when I feel like playing in the mud so I wouldn't be too bothered about them being fairly road biased.

Thanks

Dave

P.S. The General Grabber AT2s looked VERY nice

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently purchased the Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus tires in the 255/55/18 size and they seem to work rather well. The have yet to see any snow or mud, but they work well on the highway and dirt. The tires handle well on the highway and they seem to be rather quite. The Coopers are also supposed to have a long tread life. These tires were recommended to me by the shop where I take my rover. The owner has these tires on two of his P38s. The Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus tires are not as aggressive as the General AT2s or the Nitto Terra Grapplers nor are the Coopers as expensive. If you can get Coopers on your side of the pond I would recommend them as a solid, inexpensive tire. I too wanted to purchaes the AT2s but I decided I didn't need as an aggressive tire nor did I want spend the extra money. After doing some research the AT2s would have cost me about $500 more than the Coopers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
494 Posts
if you don't find the at2's cost prohibitive i'm having a very positive experience with them presently and over the past about a year or so. i wrote a post on how much i like them recently. sorry i have to be brief but i'm in the middle of work and just needed a quick break on rr.net before the insanity continues. if you search my name or general grabber it should come up. can't comment on the other mentioned tires but the ggat2's are 'effin bullet-proof, long wearing, handsome, and at home on road or off in my personal experience.

·
Registered
687 Posts
if you dont offroad, and want the best highway tire get the Fortera Triple Tred i have a set on my 99 255/55/R18 right now, and had a set of 285/50R20 on my 05.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm in a quantry whether to possibly buy a set of road tyres in 18" and then keep the 16" ones i have for off road. Problem I have is that once a once I will be towing the trialler to off road events (where it usually rains) and need a bit of off road ability from my tyres, and would be a bit of a pain changing the tyres every month.

I had the idea loosely in my mind that if I had a more road biased tyre it might do me better in relation to better fuel consumption but the AT2s do look SO nice!

Dave

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
I run both 18" and 16" rims on my Rangie depending on the occassion...

Similar to msq17 I run Cooper H/T Plus except mine are 265/60R18. They wander a bit (not helped by the 2" lift) but otherwise handle well. In fact they out performed a couple of my mates "normal
4wd's" in a recent off-road trip but that was probably more Rangie than tyres.

I must admit that I prefer the ride on the 16" rims with 33" Maxxis Bighorns. Far more comfortable and less wandering.

Guess it depends on what you use your Rangie for... cruiser or off-road?

Cheers, Paul.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts