RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2014 RR SC, it came with 21 inch wheels and the thing picks up so much road noise--i have the goodyears. I actually "offroad" quite a bit--national forest roads in the southern blue ridge. What i loved about my 2012 is that you had the magic carpet ride feeling. Can i put 20 inch wheels with michelins on my RR SC? is it a sidewall issue? It was so bad I bought a 2011 HSE the other day, and was like, yes, the magic carpet ride is back, it has 19 inch michelins, but is not terribly offroad capable. And by offroad, i mean some pretty significant pitches, i have a cabin at 5400 feet--so they are roads, no boulder climbs, no mud wrestling, but it recently went of into a ditch in mild snow in the 21s.

Has anyone--what happens if I switch the 21s down to 20s? has anyone done this? Has anyone else been disappointed by the loss of the magic carpet ride feeling in general, on or offroad in the 2014 SC with 21s? IF you have and done something about it, would love any suggestions. Thanks,

2014 RR SC
2012 HSE LUX (no longer have)
2011 HSE

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
270 Posts
I would suggest, and suggest you research, 275/55-20 Michelin LTX MS2's - very composed all weather tires with better road manners than an AT, and better than all-seasons off-road and in the wet\snow. Another option is the Michelin LTX AT2 - an all-terrain tire. The Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure w/ Kevlar has gotten great reviews too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks kindly for your response! I will give this a go. I'm a strange creature, i think i fit into the LR3/4 crowd mentality but am still clinging to the concept that an RR can be the ultimate offroad car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am so with you. I too am disappointed in the ride quality. I believe it has to do with the aluminum suspension. I think the vibration from the suspension travels to the steering wheel. I noticed this in the Jag XJ supersport too. It felt so different than the AMG which felt solid.
So, what I did was try a different tire on my 2014 RR with 22 inch. I went from 275 to 285 Yokohamas. It felt a little bit better. Then I decided to trade it in for a newer LWB RR and took switch back to the 275s before trading it back in. Wow, it was night a day. The ride was really rough just before I turned the SUV back in.
Now I am in a 2014.5 RR LWB with 21 inch hoping that the bigger sidewall would help. When I took delivery, the 21 inch did feel much better than the 22 inch. Now, it seems like the left suspension is loose, but the dealer says it is fine. I believe it is the front sway bar. I believe the 2015 has a different front sway bar.
In any case, I too am interested in the "Magic Carpet Ride" and hopefully, between you, me, and the good people on this forum, we can see if 20 inch is the way to go. I might be turning in my 2014.5 RR LWB next month for the 2015 if when I test drive the SUV, it feels much better than my current one.
I had asked previously, and I think they said the 20 inch would fit on our RR. But, let me try to find out for sure.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
270 Posts
I have had an LR3 and an RRS S\C, and our RR HSE is better offroad than both of them in terms of capability. In terms of offroad ride, the RR is astonishing in its ability to absorb impacts and isolate sway. I can only imagine what the new ones are like - one day.
FFRR_Top of Tally Ho.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your response. Its just so ironic, that a cheap 2011 HSE base model that i have i look forward to driving, and the 2014.5 RR SC i regard as a nuissance. I actually had briefly a 2012 lux and a 2014 SC, and i did put on 20s, with michelins, but a friend popped a tire while he was driving it. I cant remember what the 20s felt like because i only had it for a short while. So i still have the 20s, as the 2014 RR SC came with 22s and those were a *nightmare* i wonder who wants those. I had an 2014 m5, and same thing, its like the automakers have all decided straightline acceleration is where its at. I'll have results from putting 20s on the 2014.5 RR SC in about 3 weeks and will ping you back. the solution here may be for me just to get two 2011 and ditch the 2014.5--though I never tried the RR non SC, and motortrends longterm test guy was saying that the non-supercharged was where its at--19 inch wheels pick up less road noise, and you dont miss much in terms of acceleration--whats 1 second off zero to sixty in a car that big anyway.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
My brother has last model 2013 RRS Supercharged. Same engine as mine. I have to be captain obvious here... it just is better in the 2013. I think the suspension on our cars is the problem not the tires. The 22s and 20s difference is so small I don't think it will solve your dissatisfaction. Hopefully an aftermarket will develop for suspension on these cars because that's the one thing I hate on the car. Everything else I am satisfied with. I'd not go for the older model though just because its the older model and I like newer, but otherwise the ride difference is immediately obvious.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am using 20 inch wheels as a winter wheel on my 2014 RR Autobiography without problem. I had confirmed the fit with my service advisor before getting the HSE takeoff wheels. I find them smoother than the 22s. Being in New York with crappy roads, every inch of wheel size makes a difference.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
167 Posts
Tire choice is key to staying out of a ditch in snow. I chose to go with the Cooper ATP's in 275/55/R20. They work very well in deep snow or on ice but not as well on a slushy, slick, road. I went from an RRS to the RR and the difference in ride, off-road, is significant. I can still feel washboards, but they are not jarring. My back roads are probably not as bad as yours but I am getting ready to upload a video to show what they were like this morning. I will create a new thread that has the video in it. You should be able to see how the 2014 RR performs with 20" wheels. I can't say what the difference would be with a larger wheel though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tire choice is key to staying out of a ditch in snow. I chose to go with the Cooper ATP's in 275/55/R20. They work very well in deep snow or on ice but not as well on a slushy, slick, road. I went from an RRS to the RR and the difference in ride, off-road, is significant. I can still feel washboards, but they are not jarring. My back roads are probably not as bad as yours but I am getting ready to upload a video to show what they were like this morning. I will create a new thread that has the video in it. You should be able to see how the 2014 RR performs with 20" wheels. I can't say what the difference would be with a larger wheel though.
Hi MD Dave,
My stock Michelin tires (on 20" wheels) still got plenty of tread after 33000 miles, but i'm gonna get the cooper tires now before road trips with offroading this summer. Discount tires warns me about rubbing with the larger cooper tires. Have you found that to be the case? or did you have to do any adjustment to your RRS? Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts