RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggestion? How to mount floor boards with missing pre-drilled front holes

So, I know I could post this on the MKIII part of the forum, but this more of a general question as it has to do with joining, bolting, connecting or something metal to metal.

I picked up some OEM floor boards for my 04. Went under the truck to mount them and "What?" There are no holes in the front on the passenger (right) side.

There's not a lot of room there and I'm not the bestest of welders (unless I can grind afterwards and hide the ugly welds :)).

I assume the "factory" holes are drilled and tap, correct?

Could I use the hardened still self tapping screws? Only concern here is the largest I can find are #12 or 1/4". This is fine for the outside rail, as they're small any way. The inside rail bolt is larger, although I think I could put two of these in there and gain a similar strength (but don't know for sure about strength).

I'm really brainstorming and am interested in others ideas and thoughts on this.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Re: Suggestion? How to mount floor boards with missing pre-drilled front holes

I would go for Rivnuts before the self cutters mate. Excellent strength and easy enough to install etc.
You can get the self cutters in pretty big sizes though, with a bolt head and not a phillips head.

Martin

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks, Martin. Rivnuts look interesting. Guess you drill a hole, pound the rivnut into the hole and the mount - kind like a lug on an axle only internal threads as opposed to external. It seemed the "rivnut" brand indicates aluminum (like for aircraft), but there does appear to be steel ones. I like the idea and will research this method. The only initial concern I have is the space on the side of the outside rail might not give me room to pound one into a hole. But I will research and figure out if I can use these.

Although I found hex head self-tapping screws, I couldn't find any hardened ones larger than #12 or 1/4". Do you know where I can find larger ones?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts

Rivnuts have a tool that expands them in the hole you drill for them. Not a lot of room required to use them. Are you going into the unibody for the mounts? If so, there will be plenty of room there.
Look at www.fastenal.com for "self drilling screw". I see them there up to 3/8" diameter!

Martin

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I have a fastenal store very close. I'll stop by there and see what makes sense.

The mounts are a standard location on the two rails (outside/inside). The left (driver) side has all the holes and threads. The right side only has the rear ones. Here's the video (there's a second part) on youtube by Powerful UK on how to mount them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWPN7WI-6Xg&feature=plcp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts