RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone have any experience with the Continental Tires with the foam padding? I am experiancing a harsh and noisy ride with my current tire I have now. The Dealership has suggest the Continental Foam tires to help with this problem. The regular Continental Foam padding is $50 more than the regular Continental. I just wanted to see if anyone think its worth the purchase? My current tires are the Nitto extreme 275/40R22.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't have experience with these tires, but the only way to have a smooth ride is to change your 22" wheels to lower size, preferably 20". My 21" wheels are noticeably stiffer than 20" I had before.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have experience with these tires, but the only way to have a smooth ride is to change your 22" wheels to lower size, preferably 20". My 21" wheels are noticeably stiffer than 20" I had before.
I have driven 22' with Continental tire on another RR and it was a lot smoother and quieter than my current tires. Yes, I understand having smaller rim would help but different tire does make a different too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have driven 22' with Continental tire on another RR and it was a lot smoother and quieter than my current tires. Yes, I understand having smaller rim would help but different tire does make a different too.
Check your tire pressure. Your tires might be over inflated if another car was smoother

·
Registered
131 Posts
Tire pressure settings should be a sticky on this forum. ;-)

Check the tire pressure recommendations in the door jam and observe the "light load" tire pressure setting, check your manual also on how to change this in your instrument cluster.... this is for maximum comfort. "Normal psi" mode is only needed if your consistently carrying 5 passengers and luggage. LR should have renamed the latter to "heavy load" like most other manufactures.

·
Administrator
27,824 Posts
Tire pressure settings should be a sticky on this forum.
No they shouldn't. Tyre pressures vary greatly between models and tyre sizes. Every Range Rover has the sticker in the door jamb should there ever be a question by a tyre shop or owner. Recommended pressures are usually found in the owners manual as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Front tire has 36 psi and the rear I believe was 45 psi. Dealership told me that's what was recommended.
I believe my door's sticker says 34 front / 37 rear for the light load. I put 34 on all 4. My car is still stiffer than my previous MB GL class with 20" wheels, but not anything I would consider as uncomfortable.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have the continentals with foam inserts as OEM tires on my Tesla. One of the car mags (forget which) did extensive testing and found that the sound/noise difference was minimal.

If you have 22 inch wheels, that's your problem and no amount of foam inserts will change the accompanying tire roar. You have to decide whether you want to look cool or have a quiet and more comfortable ride. The choice was easy for me, I opted for the 19s for that very reason.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
17 Posts
lowered pressure to light load and my 22 continentals with foam are tolerable .

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have two full size L405s. Both have not had 22s and both have continental foam pads. Night and day huge difference much quieter. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Our 2016 RR TD6 has the 22" wheels with the foam (Continental). The ride is awesome, maybe that's why I'm such an advocate for the 22" wheels because I don't consider the ride to be poor in any way.

I was under the impression that the foam inside the tires was a standard thing? Isn't it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Has anyone have any experience with the Continental Tires with the foam padding? I am experiancing a harsh and noisy ride with my current tire I have now. The Dealership has suggest the Continental Foam tires to help with this problem. The regular Continental Foam padding is $50 more than the regular Continental. I just wanted to see if anyone think its worth the purchase? My current tires are the Nitto extreme 275/40R22.
so i've had those 22" contis in foam and non foam versions and can't tell the difference.

I've seen retailers try to charge as much as a 100 dollar premium for them , per tire, and as little as 5 dollars. so 50 dollars is fair.

either way, didn't notice much difference. hard for any amount of foam to offset all that mass sitting on 22s with that profile.

·
Registered
131 Posts
No they shouldn't. Tyre pressures vary greatly between models and tyre sizes. Every Range Rover has the sticker in the door jamb should there ever be a question by a tyre shop or owner. Recommended pressures are usually found in the owners manual as well.
yeah I was being sarcastic with my comment.

Hence my explanation right after where the user could find the info and recommendations on PSI - not everyone is aware of where to find that vital info. (although they should be)

cheers.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
17 Posts
I have 2016 with continental padded 22" tires. The answer to road noise is lowering pressures to light load pressures. The rough ride is the car not the tires. I have driven the 20,21,22 diesel, supercharged and non supercharged. I have tried low and high tire pressures, the car just rides rough on the highway. Its the suspension and the software. It feels like the wheels need balancing so there is no fix. If it is bothersome get a 2012 supercharged RR .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts