RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies gents wanted to share this build as it’s pretty exciting to me and it’s been a lot of hard work, also might need some suggestions

It’s a 1974 RRC suffix B from Australia with some different options than UK

Came lifted as it was used as a farm vehicle

Transforming it to a baja prerunner

Good luck with pics hope they upload

Will lee posting on the build

Cheers

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Decided to restore it completely and paint it Sahara sand but with a satin coat

As I won’t be able to keep it completely classic it will be a mix of new and old

Suggested welcome

Seats will be inspired by the new 2 door Range Rover

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
that is a beauty. Yes you are right in some things you have to compromise between classic and modern.. as in decent seats although mine will be more lookalike.
please post more pics..and share your secret how you manage to insert pics!!
I bought a 1972 last year, a CKD one like yours. I have been seriously thinking of a more modern engine, a 1982 one with a lot less mileage and it would take the standard water pump etc. Do you plan to leave all the mechanical bits as they are?

We might exchange a bit of CKD history. My boss was an apprentice in the original assembly here from 1973 onwards

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice Annette !!! I’m in love with it and you are probably as well .. you can’t go wrong

Where did you find yours?

Mine came with a modified V8 imported from a UK defender on it (piper cams and headman headers) , I’ve been working on the interior to make the updated transmission fit as well (pic below)

I would love AC and that will be the next step

Where are you located ?

I’m using the iPhone app from Tapatalk and pics seem to work (first one was from photo album)

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Thank you for the hint. I have just downloaded tapatalk.. I had it once installed for clublandrovertt.net but got annoyed with the ads. Well it improved a lot.
(On my computer at least) it shows where you are under your avatar. I bought my n°54 Range Rover in Cartago and it's not in good nick. We towed it with my 83 Rangie from there all the way to 40kms west of Puntarenas when the bumper came lose. Had to tow it by rope into a filling station where we left it for the night. So next day we got her by tow truck.. tow truck didn't have the tax sticker so we did it by night .

We took the engine apart and I decided it was more affordable to get a 2nd hand engine in decent state .. at least I can get the distributor etc.
The present one is a horrible thing out of star wars and my replacement engine came without.

Oh yes there is still the original aircon.. not that I care. I learned in Australia I feel better with Windows down and rain dries.

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Sorry I just worked out that in tapatalk you have to click on the avatars to see the signature and info. Try my link in the signature and you'll find some photos
that is a beauty. Yes you are right in some things you have to compromise between classic and modern.. as in decent seats although mine will be more lookalike.
please post more pics..and share your secret how you manage to insert pics!!
I bought a 1972 last year, a CKD one like yours. I have been seriously thinking of a more modern engine, a 1982 one with a lot less mileage and it would take the standard water pump etc. Do you plan to leave all the mechanical bits as they are?

We might exchange a bit of CKD history. My boss was an apprentice in the original assembly here from 1973 onwards

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
on the subject of builds, some 10 yrs ago maybe longer there was an aussie with a website by the name of "rangie.com" lots of great info on custom work. he had taken a 2 door front end and grafted a newer lwb rear end with a diesel engine. basically a home made limo with super long doors.don't know what happened to the website but again, lots of great info.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trying out the new fuel tank gaskets ;) fuel was literally spouting out on corners

Next is connecting the fuel sender to know how much I have left in the fuel tank

Cheers

Tony

·
Registered
18 Posts
Funny I’ve also just brought new Fuel cap gasket had same thing

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fuel all over floor ? Did the new seals do it?

I temp cut a small hose in half and used it as a seal under the cap and used a piece of round rubber to seal the top gasket (better but not perfect) it’s on my next UK parts list

Love your build man sounds mean .. haven’t read thru it but did get to see your video ... sounds like 3.5 V8 with headers and cams? Do you get backfire ?

Got to figure out the fuel tank sender next as it either guzzles or I was dropping my fuel all over the place

Cheers

Tony

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just ordered a new seal from Andy at Famous Four hasn’t arrived yet mine was leaking but not squirting. At work at moment so it will be a while before I get to fit it. Engine - standard 3.5 liter bored 20 thou 9.75/1 pistons but composite head gaskets so probably 9.3/1 heads flowed Teflon valve stem seals good single coil valve springs ARP rod bolts crank ground etc. Crower 50230 can Cloyes true roller cam drive Teflon button on cam. Edelbrock Performer inlet manifold ARP manifold bolts Edelbrock 500 cfm carb. Pertronix distributor D&D Fabrications rocket shaft supports Yella Terra Y6000 shaft roller rockers. Ceramic coated flowed headers custom S/s exhaust with electric cut out. But have a stumble in 1000 to 2000 rpm range I suspect ignition so will probably fit a 6AL CDI ignition system. Andy at V8Tuner and Mark at D&D supplied most engine carb and ignition bits local shop did the machining. Heads were done years ago by a guy that did Dick Johnson ( local hero) engines. Not massive horsepower but a nice little engine.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Hi Tony,
Sounds like you are a lot further than I am..
My other 2 door is at the moment almost completely dismantled we will soon reassemble it.
This one is made of 2, a 1983 and a 1990 . The first one was burnt out, the second one donated some body parts, electrical system and interior.

The engine is from a 200tdi Discovery.

The 1972 one will definitely very close to original, it is no54 ckd and would be a crime to butcher.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
#52 wow ! That one has to be completely restored can’t wait to see it

I would love to pull the heritage cert on mine and see what comes back

Working on seats and hopefully getting an order from famous four for some lettering , it will be nice to see them in

1 - 17 of 17 Posts