RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing some serious highway kms on the weekends lately. On Friday night I heard a bang and assumed I'd hit a small rock or stick that I hadn't seen. The car seemed unaffected, but a little later I became aware of an increase in vibration through the steering wheel.

I initially thought perhaps I'd thrown a wheel weight but the vibration continued (and was more noticeable) when idling at traffic lights etc. It got me the extra ~100kms to my destination without any problems, and after much indecision I decided to risk driving home after the weekend (~350kms) which it did without a hitch. The vibration doesn't feel desparately harmful, but something is definitely wrong. It is very noticeable at ~95kmh but then virtually disappears around ~100kmh.

There doesn't appear to be any lack of power, and to all intents and purposes the engine behaves normally, except for this increased vibration which is more noticeable on the right side (looking from the front). The engine mounts appear fine to my untrained eye, but there is some new engine oil towards the back of the right rocker cover which may be related (or I may have just spilled a bit when I topped it up a week ago). The fan belts all exhibit a lot of vibration but my guess is that is secondary. There may (MAY) be a very slight increase in engine temperature but I was towing a trailer both ways which could explain that.

The tranny seems normal, fluid is fine and the vibration remains in drive / park / neutral, so my guess is that I have thrown a balance weight from somewhere, but where? Presumably it could only be the crankshaft? If so, why would the vibration be so much more noticeable on one side? Could there be damage to something else - eg under the right rocker cover - that could create vibration yet allow the engine to run normally?

And if it is a crankshaft balance weight, how much trouble am I in? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You, sir, are a genius (and I am a pillock) :oops:

I'm a pillock because I already have one big dent in the bonnet from where the last viscous locked up and disintegrated on me. You'd think it would have occurred to me to look :doh:

This one has locked up too and is indeed missing a fin. Probably time to go electric. At least its a fairly cheap fix :dance:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks P76, Ford fans it is - but I've been told to tell you you are on drugs - the EA's weren't electric. EF's and EL's are, and apparently the EL's will be easier to wire up. Going rate for a pair seems to be $90 round these parts, plus I'll need to get a sender unit from Bursons. All up I'll probably get out of it for less than I paid for an aging viscous fan a couple of years ago :oops:

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
fermenter said:
Thanks P76, Ford fans it is - but I've been told to tell you you are on drugs - the EA's weren't electric. EF's and EL's are, and apparently the EL's will be easier to wire up. Going rate for a pair seems to be $90 round these parts, plus I'll need to get a sender unit from Bursons. All up I'll probably get out of it for less than I paid for an aging viscous fan a couple of years ago :oops:
Tells I am not a Ford nut then. It was a long time ago that I bought them. Does AU sound better.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
p76rangie said:
Does AU sound better.
Maybe - there is definitely an AU Falcon. Do you think that might be what you used?

Any chance of a quick photo?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts