RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster, so take it easy on me :p

I have a 2001 4.6 HSE with Navigation and my subwoofer has recently stopped working. Took it to my local shop and they said the amp and sub were both fried. I am looking at buying a new or gently used unit but am having a hard time finding one for the model with Navigation. There are plenty i can choose from for ones of the same year without navigation. Whats the difference? Will one meant for a rover without navigation work for mine? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
The nav doesn't make a difference. Just get one. I have an extra amp if you need one. $30 shipped in the US. I actually have an entire extra unit, with a good stock 8" sub in it. (it's the 8" band pass type instead of the dual 6.5" ported type... the latter is the better sounding of the two IMO) If you want the entire unit with sub and amp I'd sell it to you for $75 shipped.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the offer, but i am looking for the dual 6.5" unit.

Also the reason i am worried about the compatibility, is that on this site ( http://www.roverlandparts.com/range-rov ... ofers.aspx ) and other sites ive looked at have the part listed as a different model. I just don't want to buy a unit that was in one without navigation and have the connections be different.

Thanks for you help again!

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
The sub is interchangeable... don't worry about it.

If I were you, I'd but a decent amp of ebay for under $100, and a pair of decent subs then... I put a little 150w alpine amp in mine ($50) and a pair of fosgate subs in the stock box and it sounds infinitely better. VERY easy to wire up, and probably cheaper than going the used OEM route.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... just received my brand new subwoofer, same model #, hooked it up and still no sound from the sub. Any ideas? :doh:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice find, let me know how they work......

however, i dont think it is anything wrong with the sub itself, i'm afraid something is bad in the wiring. I hate spending money on the labor costs so i am trying to exhaust all my options before doing so....

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
If you were close by I could get you rolling... can't do it over the comp though. I need to be there with some tools/spare parts.

Check the main things first... is there power to the amp? 12v constant, ignition on, ground.
If yes, is there signal coming to the amp? If yes, your amp is toast. If no, why?
If no, why not?

You don't happen to have the older stereo where you actually had to turn the sub on with the radio controls, do you?

Did the previous owner install an aftermarket stereo? Look for cut wires at amp/behind stereo... hole in firewall for power cable, etc..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
everything is factory, no aftermarket sub amp or head unit....

I have the stock alpine headunit for a 2001 and am able to control the subwoofer volume but as far as i know, there is not an off/on power switch for the subwoofer.....

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
I'm wondering if there was aftermarket stuff in there previously, and they put it back to stock hastily.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really dont believe so, I bought it from the original owner that was in his 60's with all service records at the local Land Rover Dealer...

·
Registered
401 Posts
If its not at the sub end check that everything at the headunit is connected properly.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I measured the subwoofer overall diameter from edge to edge is 6.5" the overall diameter of the foam surround is 5.5". I am new to the whole audio thing. I always kept things stock and never had a problem.

Anyways, what size do I go by. When a subwoofer is spec'd for 6.5" or 5.5" does this apply to the overall diameter from edge to edge or foam/rubber surround edge to edge?

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
kmagnuss said:
The sub is interchangeable... don't worry about it.

If I were you, I'd but a decent amp of ebay for under $100, and a pair of decent subs then... I put a little 150w alpine amp in mine ($50) and a pair of fosgate subs in the stock box and it sounds infinitely better. VERY easy to wire up, and probably cheaper than going the used OEM route.
Do you have any part numbers for these? I need new rear subs and wouldn't mind upgrading with subs and a new amp as long as it is easy to install and all operates correctly with the stock head unit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can anyone help me (someone who knows very little about stereo equipment) pick out a new pair of rear 6.5" subs? One of mine has blown and I assume the other will go soon.
How many Ohms, how many Watts, anything else I need to know? I would like to hook these up with as little modification as possible and achieve equal or better quality than the factory Harmon Kardons. If a small amp is recommended I am open to that idea as well.
The guys at Best Buy told me "they dont make 6.5"in subs anymore."
The Crutchfield operator told me that they have several 6.5s to choose from but none that fit my vehicle.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
kmagnuss said:
The nav doesn't make a difference. Just get one. I have an extra amp if you need one. $30 shipped in the US. I actually have an entire extra unit, with a good stock 8" sub in it. (it's the 8" band pass type instead of the dual 6.5" ported type... the latter is the better sounding of the two IMO) If you want the entire unit with sub and amp I'd sell it to you for $75 shipped.

So I just picked up a "new" 2001 RR HSE 4.6 this week!! Love it! But... I noticed the stereo sounded pretty weak as I proceeded to adjust the subwoofer setting - no change. Upon investigation I found out that the PO removed the sub and amp. [email protected]#$#%^&!! I would love to take you up on your offer of $75 shipped for yours. Just PM me...

Bryan

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
chadsuv said:
Can anyone help me (someone who knows very little about stereo equipment) pick out a new pair of rear 6.5" subs? One of mine has blown and I assume the other will go soon.
How many Ohms, how many Watts, anything else I need to know? I would like to hook these up with as little modification as possible and achieve equal or better quality than the factory Harmon Kardons. If a small amp is recommended I am open to that idea as well.
The guys at Best Buy told me "they dont make 6.5"in subs anymore."
The Crutchfield operator told me that they have several 6.5s to choose from but none that fit my vehicle.
Dropping replacement drivers in the original box is probably the cheapest way to go. But its not just matching impedence and power handling. To sound right, the box is usually matched to the driver because different brands of speaker drivers have different characteristics. I would suggest replacing the whole works with something designed to work together. If I was replacing the sub I would go with something like the Infinity Basslink. $300 gets you amp, crossover, driver, in a box. Easy to integrate and its designed to work together. It should easily fit under the existing cover.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts