RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally replacing my 06 sport for a new RR and I'm trading it in but I can't get the stupid tow hitch off. The key won't turn and I tried both keys. This has gotta be one of the worst designs because now I realize how lucky I am that I have never got a flat because I may not have been able to remove the spare tire because of this hitch. I'm not trying to give my dealer anything for free but I guess it too late as I'm turning it in tomorrow.

Word to the wise don't buy the tow hitch with the key get the other one with the bolts. Who's stupid idea was it to put a key where all types of dirt and grime will accumulate?!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Once the hitch is in place you are supposed to remove the key for security reasons. I realize you're frustrated, but personally I love the setup.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once the hitch is in place you are supposed to remove the key for security reasons. I realize you're frustrated, but personally I love the setup.
I have never left my key in the lock. That would be equally as stupid. The problem is the lock is frozen maybe from the climate changes or grime and the key is small. The key will break off in the lock if I keep trying. Imagine if I had a flat:shock:.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
14 Posts
If it's not too late, try spraying WD-40 in the key hole of the lock. I've had to do that from time to time on locks that I use on my hitch covers. A couple of quick squirts and letting it soak for about 5 minutes and the lock works again...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts