RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a brand new 2014 RRS SC yesterday. Now I need snow tires.

I realized this even before the consumer reports article was published today.

In reviewing the Land Rover Tire matrix, the only approved tire I see in this size is the Latitude Alpin. From various reviews, it does not seem this is all that great a snow/wet tire. Additionally, its not too easy to find.

The other option seems to be Nokain Hakkapeliitta 7 in a 265/50 R20. This is a studded tire which is not ideal for the rain we get in Seattle. I would like to substitue it with the Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV, which is studless. Problem is, after calling about 10 dealers, it seems to be sold out.

Bridgestone Blizzaks are available in 255/55 R20, but have a load rating of 107 vs the OEM tire's rating of 110.

Does anyone have snow tire suggestion in a size that would work or thoughts as to the load rating being conservative?

I am also looking for suggestions other than tire rack or tiresbyweb.com as to where to buy them - both of those retailers are sold out.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately we need them for going into the mountains on weekends - which around here get upwards of 400 inches a year....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes - I had thought the same thing on snow tires and in a perfect world I would have them but the all-seasons worked just fine in the first snow storm. I also was happy because I wouldn't want to have all seasons + winters; I would have wanted to get summers from LR and then buy the snow tires on dedicated winter rims

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got pirelli scorpion 22" winter tires and they are great. Best price. Both FFRR 2013 and 2014 RRS ATB have 22" scorpions. Love them so much I bought a set for my wife's cayenne 2013 as well but cayenne does require new wheels as well. 21" down to 19" for Cayenne.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
very important for those days….always fun around here. :pray: QUOTE=RRToadHall;611457]...or for that 2 or 3 inches in Seattle when no body else can drive. :lol:[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was able to finally locate some Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV tires. Look for "Tire Factory" in Western USA. Paid dearly for the privilege. Will be waiting a week till they are delivered. Once we get some snow, I'll let you know how they rate compared to the the Pirelli Scorpions (which were a fine, but not amazing snow tire) we have been running the last 5 winters on our previous LR3s.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'll be installing Blizzaks on my RRS when it arrives in Ottawa mid January. I'm not concerned with the load index at all. 106 or 107 is still rated at over 8000 pounds. I'm confident it will be fine for winter driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For whatever its worth - have spent the last couple of months (2,000 miles)playing in tons of snow on our trips over Stevens Pass and to BC. The Nokians are awesome tires. Better than than the Scorpions we used on our previous LR3s.

·
Registered
275 Posts
For whatever its worth - have spent the last couple of months (2,000 miles)playing in tons of snow on our trips over Stevens Pass and to BC. The Nokians are awesome tires. Better than than the Scorpions we used on our previous LR3s.
What size did you get the hakka's in? I have a 15 Sport ATB on order being delivered in Jan, which is snow time here in Wisconsin. I see the OEM 20's run 255/50/20's which seems very odd to me considering they are 3.3% different in diameter. The 275/50/20 is a lot closer in diameter (30.7 vs 30.8 ) and exactly equal in width to what the stock 22" tires are. I know in winter ideally you run a less wide tire, but 275 would be just fine in my opinion.

I'm thinking of ordering the Hakkawhetevertheyare R2's in 275/50/20 and picking up a set of 20" wheels for winter use here in Wisconsin. Anyone tried this size with success? Is there a "better" size to be using?

·
Registered
329 Posts
What size did you get the hakka's in? I have a 15 Sport ATB on order being delivered in Jan, which is snow time here in Wisconsin. I see the OEM 20's run 255/50/20's which seems very odd to me considering they are 3.3% different in diameter. The 275/50/20 is a lot closer in diameter (30.7 vs 30.8 ) and exactly equal in width to what the stock 22" tires are. I know in winter ideally you run a less wide tire, but 275 would be just fine in my opinion.

I'm thinking of ordering the Hakkawhetevertheyare R2's in 275/50/20 and picking up a set of 20" wheels for winter use here in Wisconsin. Anyone tried this size with success? Is there a "better" size to be using?
I just bought the Hakka R2 SUVs in 265/45/21 and a spare set of the 21inch OEM rims (both from eBay).

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just bought the Hakka R2 SUVs in 265/45/21 and a spare set of the 21inch OEM rims (both from eBay).
Did you have them reprogram the speedometer? I'm being told this can only be done 5 times before the chip burns out? The 265 45 21s are 1% different than stock diameter. Not a big deal in theory, but without repgramming I wonder what effect it has on things like the tranny, traction control, four wheel drive.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Did you have them reprogram the speedometer? I'm being told this can only be done 5 times before the chip burns out? The 265 45 21s are 1% different than stock diameter. Not a big deal in theory, but without repgramming I wonder what effect it has on things like the tranny, traction control, four wheel drive.
No need, it is barely 1 mph off (slower) than it should be. Plus that is BS there is no limit on how many times you can reprogram a computer, however JLR charges a **** ton to do it. I asked to have the stupid front parking sensors shut off and they said 400 with no guarantee.

·
Registered
275 Posts
No need, it is barely 1 mph off (slower) than it should be. Plus that is BS there is no limit on how many times you can reprogram a computer, however JLR charges a **** ton to do it. I asked to have the stupid front parking sensors shut off and they said 400 with no guarantee.
Yeah I figured it was BS. It should be S.O.P. if a customer buys your accessory wheels and you mount them for them that you'd also reprogram their speedo for free, but I'm already learning JLR service dept isnt exactly top notch. Sure hope I don't need them for anything serious :eek:

So are you happy with the hakkas on the 21s? If you could do it over again, would you of went with 20s? Trying to decide between the two. As you probably know the 20" tires a quite a bit cheaper, and will give a bit more cushion for winter. But of course a 20" wheel doesn't look as nice either.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yeah I figured it was BS. It should be S.O.P. if a customer buys your accessory wheels and you mount them for them that you'd also reprogram their speedo for free, but I'm already learning JLR service dept isnt exactly top notch. Sure hope I don't need them for anything serious :eek:

So are you happy with the hakkas on the 21s? If you could do it over again, would you of went with 20s? Trying to decide between the two. As you probably know the 20" tires a quite a bit cheaper, and will give a bit more cushion for winter. But of course a 20" wheel doesn't look as nice either.
Yeah I am happy with them based on the selection choices I have. I would have preferred something capable of year round use like Continental ExtremeContact DWS, which I used on an X5 in the summer and through massive snow storms with no issue.

I wanted 20 inch but was advised that it wouldn't fit, didn't test it out and bought prior to the post of the member who did try them out. I found my 21 inch style 15 diamond tuned on ebay for almost 250 a wheel, that was a deal I wouldn't turn down and didn't require a reprogram/inaccurate speedo at every change.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah I am happy with them based on the selection choices I have. I would have preferred something capable of year round use like Continental ExtremeContact DWS, which I used on an X5 in the summer and through massive snow storms with no issue.

I wanted 20 inch but was advised that it wouldn't fit, didn't test it out and bought prior to the post of the member who did try them out. I found my 21 inch style 15 diamond tuned on ebay for almost 250 a wheel, that was a deal I wouldn't turn down and didn't require a reprogram/inaccurate speedo at every change.
Wow, that is a deal! Yeah the 20s will fit, I mean you can have the dynamic or ATB built with 20s so it would make sense they fit. Just have to make sure they are at least 9.5" wide. Looks like you and me went the exact same route, same wheels and tire for winter. I got mine for 375 a wheel shipped and thought that was a great deal, considering JLR wanted 1069 ea! They tried to justify the pricing by saying "well it's a big wheel" lol!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the delayed response - bought the Nokian's in size 265/50 R20. So far they have been quite good on Snow, Ice and Rain (which we get a "little" of here in Seattle).

Speedo is off a tad, but its under speed. Consensus seems to be that smaller diameter does not have a huge negative impact on the running gear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts