RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for a drive today and got stuck in snow about 30 miles from home :(

I was fine until I tried to turn round to get out. I had sand with me, a shovel, but every time I got the RR moving it would bog down again. The tires (and my driving) are mostly to blame.

I've just ordered 2 pairs of chains, so when these turn up, I'll have to walk back in and try a rescue mission.

These pics were taken before I tried to turn round. The going had been pretty good up until that point...

[attachment=1:3isiazzi]IMG_3461_small.JPG[/attachment:3isiazzi]

another:
[attachment=0:3isiazzi]IMG_3463_small.JPG[/attachment:3isiazzi]

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
it's ok, I did a highspeed spinout on the highway in a minivan when i hit black ice. First time in 6 years in canadian winter it cought me offguard. I hit the dich going fast,hit the ditch, did a Dukes of Hazzard through some farm land entry ways then into the field. busted rockers and front bumper where it hit. I went to pick up a bumper and bushbar for my 2001 Rangie, bashed me in the back of the head pretty good. Had to call my old man to bring my range rover to yank me back out

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
James - Is the car in a ditch? What do you mean when you say "you got it moving but then it would bog down again"? Sounds like a few more of those and you would have driven away.

Bandit - What? Did someone hit you?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tim (Scotland) said:
James - Is the car in a ditch? What do you mean when you say "you got it moving but then it would bog down again"? Sounds like a few more of those and you would have driven away.
The snow was just too deep for the tires. The ground was uneven under the snow. I seemed to get into a situation where one front and one rear wheel was spinning. I'd dig out, and then the spinning would start again. Once I'd well and truly polished the tires, I don't think I was going anywhere. We tried for quite a while, but it got to the point we had to get out of there.

I ordered 2 pairs of snow chains, so when they turn up later in the week, I'll see if I can get it out.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question.

I know if I lose traction on one front and one rear wheel, then I will not move.

If I lose traction on both rear wheels, but both front wheels do have traction, will the center diff-lock mean that I will move?
Thanks,
James

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes your viscous transfer case should transfer 100% of torque forward to the non-slipping wheels if both rears are spinning. Of course, while it is rare, the viscous unit can fail in the open position, but usually if it fails it locks up solid, causing other driveline problems on dry roads in turns.

I'm surprised you don't already own a set of chains already, especially in such a wintery state like Wisconsin. Then again, I didn't see anyone with chains when I visited Toronto in the depths of winter... too many well salted roads. Chains are also useful in slurry-like mud. (Wait, no salt on the roads in the wintertime and slurry-like mud... I'm thinking like an Oregonian again, aren't I?)

Scott

·
Registered
345 Posts
Got stuck last year in the middle of nowhere due to worn out tires, some greasmonkey pulled me out with a 76 chevy 2 wheel drive pick up and a rusty chain, but he had big fat treads on his tires. Went back this year with new Bridgestones and no problem. The lesson with moist snow is once you drive over it it mashes into an ice pack, the more you drive over it the more slippery it gets, and you wind up with an ice wedge the same shape as your tire, impossible to get out of without help.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
james said:
Another question.

If I lose traction on both rear wheels, but both front wheels do have traction, will the center diff-lock mean that I will move?
Thanks,
James
The viscous centre diff will lock up if a wheel(s) on either axle starts spinning.
But it will only put an 50% to the front and 50% to the back under those circumstances.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Managed to rescue the Monster. It didn't want to leave, it needed chains on the front and the rear before I could coax it out.
The drive out was a little stressful, and I don't think I've ever been so relieved to get back on hard level road.

From leaving home to getting back took 3 hours, so could have been worse. I realize snow can be trouble, but my faith the RRC has been shaken a little. I think I need a P38 or Disco II with traction control for the snow ;)

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
With all due respect, I don't think a TC equipped truck is what you need.

You're already aware that the road tyres were a contributing factor in getting stuck. I'd suggest you get some AT tyres (at least) and join a local 4x4 club or get some professional training.

Bear in mind that Land Rover production started in 1948 and and Traction Control only appeared in 1992. Land Rover owners didn't leave their trucks in the garage for the first 44 years.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,115 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts