RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2002 p38 that I enjoy driving and just turned 200,000 miles. I can't complain about the really minor problems I've had because most of them I've been able to fix myself. If I run into anything I don't think I can handle I ask my son (he drives a tricked out D1) and he normally can walk me through it.

Now I'm stuck in park and have to wait until the car cools down before I can shift gears. I've managed to procrastinate by leaving it in neutral and leaving my spare key in the ignition. I did replace the brake switch but that didn't work. Now I understand that I can either replace or remove the shift interlock. I was hoping to get some direction, preferably with pictures.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
A D1 will have NOTHING in common with a P38. Your directions are in something called RAVE. there are various link in the P38 FAQ. Your shift interlock has fail

You will need to remove your window switch, shift handle, console side panels , then remove the shift gate panel. It sounds like a lot a wwor to remove the shift interlock because it is

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
771 Posts
We don’t have the shift lock on our cars here in the UK, I suppose it’s just a solenoid ? Should be easy enough to remove permanently unless of course it’s needed for your yearly safety check.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
93 Posts
I don't think he was implying that the D1 has anything in common with the P38, just indicating that his son knows how to turn a wrench.....

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover P38A
47 Posts
I remember bypassing this on my D90 years ago. Forgot what I did exactly, but it was a bugger getting under the shifter. The brake / interlock thing is the only thing that ever stopped my D90 on the trail.

Is there a write-up somewhere on how to do this to a P38? "INTERLECTOMY"

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
56 Posts
Have had that happen a couple of times. Wiggled the brake switch wires a little, got going again, but maybe that was just going to happen anyway. Question: shifter lever looks stout, pin looks small. How about a hard yank to shear the pin? Anyone tried that path?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts