RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

Kind of new here. My 99 P38 (18" wheels) rides very hard. Has Strutmaster coils and shocks installed 18k miles ago, in 2004. Wondering what model shock absorbers people would recommend for a comfortable ride?

Should I upgrade to 265/60R18 off-road tires? The additional sidewall may look cool and ride better? It has 55 series Yokohamas right now.

Bilsteins would probably be equally harsh? KYB? Yes, I have read the existing shock installation page but I was hoping for real people's thoughts about my specific situation. Thx

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,756 Posts
It's not the shocks, it is the stiff coils that were installed. Changing shocks will do very little for the ride. The Strutmaster conversion coils have very little flex so they can maintain height when the Rover is loaded. I know a few folks that went this route they chuckle that it's like riding a buckboard. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
760 Posts
You want a softer ride, stick it back on air.
ive got 20” rims, with 275/40/20 tyres, I wouldn’t say my ride is hard, yes if I hit a pot hole I know it, but living in the UK you become a master at avoiding them, lol.
many people change to coils because they’ve had problems with the EAS, in reality, it’s an easy system once you grasp how it works, a complete refurb normally works out cheaper than a spring conversion, personally I’d never go down the coil route.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts