RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some quick help/advice. Looking at a 2008 RR SC with 160k miles. All was well until they sent me some up close pics and realized the car has STRUTS NOT AIR. Dealer tells me they are brand new and with whats stated on the CARFAX it seems the front struts were recently replaced. There are zero lights on the car.

If I do buy this truck the first thing would be to do is swap back to AIR. Quick questions, I did some brief searching but not familiar at all with l322 I have a l405.

1. To get it back to air, order 2x front struts/bags, 2x rear struts and 2x bags (apparently these are separate unlike the fronts?), a compressor and valve block? Anything else I would need? Anything else might be still in the truck after or does people remove compressors and valve block once converted to coils?

2. The truck is a SC so it has VDS. Main reason I do not want to buy this truck is because of the VDS/wiring. I am worried the PO/mechanic has hacked/cut/fried the wiring and its going to be a PAIN when going back to air? Any thoughts on this?

Only reason I want a L322 SC is for good road comfort and decent power/FUN project that can go off road do things I do not want to do in my l405. The coil conversion throws that whole idea out the window.

Sorry for a second thread but the first thread was totally different question.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,131 Posts
Struts are the correct name for the air shocks, as long as the struts are not surrounded by coil springs. Essentially RR front shocks look like giant versions of the old fashioned Air Shocks form the 70s. If the pictures show coil springs and regular shock absorbers then its an expensive reconversion back to original. This is what they should look like, the VDS shocks will have two wires sticking out the top hub of the shock (the red caps).

Yes the rear suspension consists of an airbag and a regular gas filled shock on each side. If the compressor was removed (its in a tortoise shaped enclosure under the spare tire in the rear of the truck) it could start getting expensive. Theres also an air reservoir tank under the right hand rocker, and height sensors on each corner. depending on how thorough the PO was all that stuff could still be there, or they could all be gone, and it could get pretty expensive. But with no warning lights its unlikely the system has been removed, there are no ways to prevent the ECS from deactivating at least the DSC, there are no magic electronic boxes that will mask the issues of a fault in the VDS or ECS systems. Post up a couple of pictures of whats there.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the very informative and detailed reply Mark.

I will try to get the seller to get some more pics. Haven’t discussed pricing after I found out it’s been converted but it was a big turn off. I was looking at another 2008 SC with only 80k miles and what do you know also been converted to strut/Springs’s

I’m going to see if the seller can send me some more pics of the current setup. The worst nightmare would be the sensors and wires being removed and gone. However literally zero lights but a tpms is on.

will update as I get more pics and once again thanks for the detailed reply much appreciated

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here’s some pictures. Apologize for the quality and size but all I got. I’ll try to ask more but it’s from wholesale the dealer has been above average in sending me videos/pics but they don’t really care to sell it to me.

This truck was going for $6500 I got them down to $5000 before I found out about the suspension. Price on the l322 are all over the place. Auction values are in the garbage for these 1500-1800. Most wholesale auctions are filled with abused/neglected junk. You sometimes get lucky and find a diamond in the rough. This particular truck was one owner until last year where it was owned for about 4 months and repossessed, then someone bought it for two months and traded it at a Toyota dealer. I can find late model 2011-2012 l322 for 6-7k but gotta factor in timing chain issues/much harder and more Expensive to work on. I prefer the 07-09 since the 06 still has bmw DNA.

Original plan was to fly to Florida from nyc and drive it back to nyc (love that drive). Due to the virus been hearing Florida is not friendly to NYers coming in. Second thought was many things are also closed and not operating full hours, god forbid the truck broke down on the way back at some odd hour it would turn into a nightmare.

A few years ago I bought a 2010 750li at a wholesale auction listed as a good runner. Car was dirt cheap. I flew to Chicago and at the auction lot discovered, zero coolant, low oil, bad battery and rough stumbling. I limped to Walmart, topped off coolant, topped off two quarts, and a fuel cleaner and bought 5 gallons of coolant, 15 quarts of oil, inflator tire kit, battery booster, stop a leak and said a prayer and started the drive to NYc. Luckily the car made it home without any major issues besides the constant topping off but it’s a experience I do not want to relive if it can be avoided

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 RRSC
70 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but VDS was not offered until 2010? Also you can not tell from the pics you posted if it is on a coil springs or air?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,941 Posts
find another truck that has the the suspension you want there are plenty of them available,
buy one from Arizona or California these will have the least amount of rust underneath

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those messages won’t upload with the strut those have the wires I think mark asked for

I’m looking for more of a project not a well maintained garage queen because my budget is for a project truck and I have access to a good Indy shop and tools/diagnostic at home as well. I have another 2500 I am going to use on doing any fixes or repair my new to me l322 will need.

looking online it said earlier SC models have VdS maybe that’s incorrect have to do some more research on that

there’s lots of good deals out west but the shipping cost defeats any deal. I’m focusing on southern trucks to minimize rust issues

I slept on a 2008 westminister for 6500 with 120k miles all original papers and receipts and all repairs done including new air suspension and bushings/arms around.

thanks for all the tips and help guys really appreciate it. The l322 community on here is simply amazing

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
218 Posts
My thoughts were the same as Mrmerlin. Simply be patient and wait, or cast your net geographically farther and find the ride you want without having to do substantial and nuisance "back to stock" modifications.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
My 2008 or 2007 didn't have wires. The struts do look aftermarket, those bolts are longer than OE.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found another one up in boston

2007 SC 169k miles new air suspension all around. Full service records was a new car trade in. Guy seems honest said he has it parked outside couple of days and never sags and he’s familiar with the l322z

The interior is tan and the wood is that dark wood. I wanted ivory/black and black piano trim.

Price is phenomenal.

this one might be it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts