Range Rovers Forum banner

Stripping 94 RRC ready for spraying...

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Range123 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, after having a rather bad experience with a good looking, but sat for a while P38 I've come back into the fold with a lovely, well used and very well looked after 300Tdi classic. Owned her for 3weeks and not broken down yet.... Far better than the P38.

Anyway, I'm getting her sprayed next week just to freshen her up and I have a few questions I hope you can help with please.

1 how do I get the windscreen washer jets out of the bonnet? I can't see any clips or screws but they won't budge.

2 I've taken the front bumper off and despite it looking rust free the square mounting blocks are rotten and one fell off! I was given a spare bumper with it, but the mountings are folded flat steel. They line up but look very different. Are they interchangeable? I guess its off an earlier car.

3 should I take the rubber strips off the side of the car or just mask them up? Opinions please.

4 lastly (for now), I've taken the original lettering off the bonnet and boot because they are faded and worn on the edges. I can't get new ones for a classic so was planning on putting the modern ones on. Which would look best, chrome or titanium silver (I guess more like the originals).

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I took some of the washer jets off a bonnet a couple of years ago, and seem to remember then being clipped in only.

Not sure about the bumper, other than if yours has the crush cans, the bumper will probably be different I should think.

The rubbing strips are unavailable now new, so if you damage them removing them you will have to hunt for good second hand ones. Some mask them out others remove them. I have known professional resprays do both. When I do my car, I will remove mine carefully.

Again the original lettering is unavailable as you say. I have heard of carefully removing the lettering with a heat gun, then ironing flat. And reglueing after a respray, which is what I shall try. If that fails I will go for the platinum, or grey ones which will be closest to mine, not the chrome.

#4 ·
Thanks for your replies.

I've not had a chance to get the rubber strips off yet, so it looks like they'll be staying on.

I
Will have another look at the jets though, I'd really like to get them off.

And thanks for the lettering link. I've emailed him but not had a reply yet. Mine were the raised letters and his are flat vinyl so not an exact match unfortunately.
I'll let you know what I decide on.
Cheers

#7 ·
I can get you the original Classic Range Rover stickers. Just need to tell me what your factory color is.

I just had to remove and replace the rubber body side moldings. Not that easy. If your planning on doing a professional job, you would need to take them off. I found a 3M molding tape to put all of mine on. The tape cost me about $60.00 (US) for two rolls. The hard part is getting all of the old tape/glue off.

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part
Car Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Trunk

#8 ·
Hi there,
I know this is an old thread - but I'm also trying to remove the windshield washer jets from the underside of my hood. It looks like they pull straight out, but I've worked them quite a bit and I'm on the verge of breaking something so I thought I would ask first.
Thank you!

#14 ·
Hi there,
I know this is an old thread - but I'm also trying to remove the windshield washer jets from the underside of my hood. It looks like they pull straight out, but I've worked them quite a bit and I'm on the verge of breaking something so I thought I would ask first.
Thank you!
There are plastic clips (part # AMR5256) that clip the washer jets to the hood. Washer jets are pushed in place, from the underside of the bonnet, and locked in place with the plastic clips, from the top-side. These clips most likely will break, when you attempt to remove them.

#9 ·
I know how you feel
I wanted to remove mine but didn’t want to break them...
But from what if studied is that they are old and most likely to break
But the bottom is suppose to pinch
In to release
You might try a heat gun to soften it up first
I have a hood in my garage
I may try it and post what happens

#10 ·
Thanks Mikieman. I'm want to pull them off because I'm replacing the bonnet insulation...I think I'll just cheat and cut the old stuff off and just cut a slit from the hole to the edge of the new insulation. It's cheating, I know - but I don't think I'll upset anyone too much :)

#11 ·
Thanks Mikieman. I'm want to pull them off because I'm replacing the bonnet insulation...I think I'll just cheat and cut the old stuff off and just cut a slit from the hole to the edge of the new insulation. It's cheating, I know - but I don't think I'll upset anyone too much :)

#17 ·
As others have said the clips will break when you remove them. I strongly recommend buying new clips (AMR5256) first and with those loose it will be easier to work out how everything attaches.

I had to replace some broken washer jets and would describe the procedure like this.

1. Open the hood and from the underside use a thin flat head screwdriver to pry the prongs of the clip outward from the base of the jet. They fit into grooves in the base of the jet and essentially make it too wide to come out of the hole in the hood. Since you have already bought the clips, you don't have to worry about mangling them. If you pry them outward while pushing up on the jet it will come out.

Here is a picture of an mangled old clip and a brand new one. They have a gap at the narrow end so they can be compressed to go through the hole when the jet is removed.

This is what the jets look like when they are not installed.

2. Compress the clip and remove it from the hole. It will be obvious without the jet, but it has to come out from the top. That leaves you with just the hood.

3. Clean up all the dirt and gunk that was under the old clip. Snap the new clip in from the top. This part is easy.

4. Snap the jet back in from the top. Again an easy step. It makes a satisfying click when it locks in place. If you try to reuse the old clips it will likely be loose and not click in place at all. That is what led me to replace the clips in the first place.

#19 ·
replica lettering is readily available on K eBay. most colours available too plus tailgate 'vogue' 'se' 'tdi' etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.