RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
In March 2007 I had a stripped engine fitted to my P38 supplied by McDonald Engines of Oswestry. This engine was completely remanufactured with top hat liners.

The head gasket seems now to have failed by No 6 plug with some very minor steam cleaning of the combustion chamber but some major blowing out of the side of the engine at the gasket join. At no point was the engine allowed to overheat and the temp guage reads normally. I change oil every 5000 miles.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with top hat liners or a remanufactured engine - I was told that this should not happen given the nature of the liners which is why I went down this route.

I do not want to chuck another three and a half grand at the car for two years motoring.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

The History Man

·
Registered
229 Posts
This doesn't sound like anything to do with the liners, just a blown headgasket. Were the heads skimmed before they were refitted?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know about the heads - the engine can with the top end all built up. They say they pressure test and check all parts to be reused.

So... it could be just a case of head gasket failure.

Cheers

·
Registered
442 Posts
G'day mate,you won't know untill you get the heads off and check the flatness of the block?\Also once there off get the block pressure tested If Ok get heads re- skimmed note there is a max tolorance they can be shaved so take in consideration if they were done before .No use just doing one if the rebulilder used cheap gaskets ,,or reused the old head bolts or used new head bolts both sides will need to be redone. Also use quality head gaskets eg Velpro, graphite compesite dont' re-use the old head bolts, dont' use new 4.6 head bolts either , the best fix is to use new head bolts from the 3.9 motor, this based on the Gems motor.
Good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments.

But why are the 3.9 bolts better than those used on the 4.6 as I felt that they are inter changeable? And...also how do I know what are the best gaskets to use - are there any that are particularly good with regard to makes and compound?

The History Man

Gems 4.0SE Auto

1 - 5 of 5 Posts